Using Solar Energy In Fishing Boats

phyllisfarland
Boat: My boat is a vehicle used to travel on water.
Best catch: flash

Using Solar Energy In Fishing Boats

Post by phyllisfarland » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:25 am

Planning to build a Fishing Boat using solar equipment in order to prevent battery draining in unfortunate time. I had to deal with the batteries which were been charged by the electricity. They were draining fast if wanted to used them hole night in camping to fish. I know that Solar power can be used in the fishing boats to make it either completely powered by the sun (independent of any other energy sources) or partially powered by the sun. Have no much knowledge than this.

Planning to buy the equipment that can be used in order to install Lights, Cameras, An electric stove and a Cute light to the small shed of my darling rosy(puppy).

I went through some websites to know the available equipment of solar energy like Magesolar, Walmart, Target Corp, Amazon and more. But I can't decide them to buy bcoz whether they are selling good or not. And also I am not knowing the prices. Please someone make me clear on this.

Waiting for your good sugestions. :) :)

FishExcutnr
Boat: Simons Town
Best catch: The 100 Club

Re: Using Solar Energy In Fishing Boats

Post by FishExcutnr » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:38 pm

solar will only allow an additional charging of your battery bank. looking at like 50ah per panel per day if you lucky. the more panels the better. as far as i know they not cheap!
in the end you need the battery bank in the first place.

Rather invest in 2/3 x 130ah deep cycle batteries as your house, than one high/cold crank as your start. With a battery management system that takes power off a high output alternator only once the crank battery is 100% and never allows crank to run low. just a voltage relay system.

also you can figure out your total ah draw in the period and make your battery bank big enough to sustain the load for the time period without running them low. Eventually you will need to either run a genset or run the outboard to charge.

also installing a 220 smart charger for when the boat is parked near AC power means your battery bank will be full for your trip not relying on the outboard/inboards alternator initially.

cheers
only weigh it when it does not fit in the box

Return to “Smart Fishing Charters”