Some random underwater shots

landshark
Site Admin

Re: Some random underwater shots

Post by landshark » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:35 am

willem wikkel spies wrote:bietjie videos geky

regtig mooi man. dis n ander wereld onder die water!

wat se diepte duik julle?
is die kelp net naby aan die kus of dieper in die see in?
Thanks! Ja dis mooi daar onder...partykeer wil ek nie terug op nie 8-)

Die diepste wat ek al vis geskiet is so by die 30m maar ek dink 80% van wat ons hier in die Wes Kaap duik is seker so tussen 10 tot 20 meter.

Waar die water koud genoeg is kry n mens kelp oral waar die water vlak genoeg is om genoeg sonlig deur te laat dat die plant kan fotosinteer. B.v. die Alphard Banke wat 40 myl in die see in is en op kom tot so +/- 15 m het al die hoë pinnacles kelp op.

landshark
Site Admin

Post by landshark » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:48 am

jaix wrote:Nice footage.

I might be wrong but I think that diving within 1mile from shore is not allowed in the cape point area.
jaix, I've heard the same thing, apparently some discussions were had around this due the Abalone poaching in the reserve but I did a search online and couldn't find any reference to this. I've also on a couple of occasions had a chat to the officials who checked or catch at the Buffels slip and none of them knew of any implemented restrictions, being it diving from boat or shore.

I've also been diving while officials where watching us from shore, then returning and having our catch checked by the same guys without any issues.

jaix
Best catch: 94kg yellowfin

Post by jaix » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:54 am

Check out www.mcm-deat.gov.za

Very clearly states it as no dive zone.

landshark
Site Admin

Post by landshark » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:58 am

jaix wrote:Check out http://www.mcm-deat.gov.za

Very clearly states it as no dive zone.
url.jpg
url.jpg (53.23 KiB) Viewed 1381 times

jaix
Best catch: 94kg yellowfin

Post by jaix » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:03 am

Sorry wrong link.

Just google
Marine recreational activity brochure

Hope this helps. I am not playing policeman just dont want guys getting in trouble.

landshark
Site Admin

Post by landshark » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:17 am

jaix wrote:Sorry wrong link.

Just google
Marine recreational activity brochure

Hope this helps. I am not playing policeman just dont want guys getting in trouble.
Cool, appreciated thanks. :thumbup:

As I said, if there is anything then it's most probably related to perlemoen and since I it doesn't seem as if I'll be able to dive perlie's in my lifetime again I should be ok... :evil:

maurice

Post by maurice » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:23 am

Great footage Landshark. Were you on the duck launched with the Stellenbosch Discovery?
Last edited by maurice on Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

landshark
Site Admin

Post by landshark » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:57 am

maurice! Howzit!!

Ja, that was us. I still wanted to say thanks for calling us over and letting us dive with you. We where at Bellows / Anvil earlier in the morning and only found a couple of very fast moving shoals of tail in dirty water, then went over to Rocky Bank where nothing was happening so it was awesome to find you guys... thanks again.

Must say I've gone through the brochure but only doing a search pertaining spearfishing, so I guess that's why I missed it.

As for the poachers, their work is evident everywhere in the reserve and like you said they are so brazen they just carry on as they please. A run in with them almost got serious at Arniston slipway a couple of years ago... never take a speargun to a gunfight... an AK47 will win every time!

The sharks... must say its always the Whites I worry about but after last weekends run-in with that Bronzie I'll show a lot more respect to them!

nicksub
Boat: Infanta 6.5m RIB with twin Mercury 60efi four strokes
Best catch: 75kg yellowfin, 14.5 kg yellowtail

Post by nicksub » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:14 pm

Hi gents, we where also out on Saturday and should have also stayed in the area where we met Landshark. That area had by far the best visibility.We decided to pull some rappies and landed few fish but the urge to jump in a shoot a few fish took over. We went to Bellows but the water temp was a few degrees less than in the bay and there was no action other than big schools of hotties. On the way back to the Point we saw birds working about a mile off the Anvil and decided to try our luck. We managed a few fish and moved off again and followed the birds. We were three guys in the water when suddenly Jaco shouted "shark" with quite a bit of urgency in his voice. He was around 20m away from us. We jumped on the boat and picked him up and saw that he had been bitten on the foot. He said that three bronzies had swam up to him quite aggressively and where trying to bite his fins. He jabbed one quite hard in the mouth and within a blink of an eye, one managed to bite him. Luckily the wound was superficial and no tendons or bones were damaged.He got 20 stitches and although in a bit of pain, is recovering well.
Attachments
IMG-20151017-WA0003 (640x360).jpg
IMG-20151017-WA0003 (640x360).jpg (113.02 KiB) Viewed 1335 times

landshark
Site Admin

Post by landshark » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:13 am

Got back from a absolute epic trip to the Transkei recently. Hole In The Wall and surrounds is such beautiful spot.
HITW.jpg
And it's not just beautiful above the water... Amazing variety of fish and everything is bigger than what we get on the Cape coast. Knifejaw in the foreground.
knifejaw.jpg
We had phenomenal conditions for most of our stay and got some really good fish.
garrick.jpg
We found juvenile Poensies everywhere.
poensie.jpg

Return to “Spearfishing”