Yellowfin update 2014 - 2015

Yellowfin update 2014 - 2015

Postby FishExcutnr » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:31 pm

Its not yellowfin, but here some pics off some bluefin we have been lucky to catch off the back off a yacht in the med. I must admit there is a lot of fish around particularly south of italy towards corsica and sardinia. Been chasing baitballs on the surface with the tender but fishing with an overhead accurate havent had the distance and accuracy im craving from a gosa and aerocast ( will pick one up in spain next month!!). Any way these fish are super super skittish and incredibly hard to approach but nice to see large shoals actively feeding. Even had some bigger 60-70kg fish feeding on the surface 200m from land. heading to greece soon so we hunting a 50kg plus fish on the way. We aim to release all fish ( first two pics are of two fish kept due to injuries). thats why im in the water with the tail line.

Anyway craving a yellowfin, maybe next year. season is close, enjoy guys.
Attachments
10351906_10154388230835548_6461806447765141640_n.jpg
10629852_10154519196020548_4337450086037873640_n.jpg
10629852_10154519196020548_4337450086037873640_n.jpg (39.8 KiB) Viewed 11386 times
10632734_10154530938375548_7036172309144646121_n.jpg
10632734_10154530938375548_7036172309144646121_n.jpg (94.54 KiB) Viewed 11386 times
only weigh it when it does not fit in the box
User avatar
FishExcutnr
 
Posts: 1173
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:33 am
Location: Cape Town
Boat: Simons Town
Best catch: The 100 Club

Re: Yellowfin update

Postby Dorado » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:55 pm

Buddy was on a bird charter in the deep today, chummed for a few min and suspects there was tuna under the boat!
Attachments
IMG-20140907-WA0010.jpg
User avatar
Dorado
 
Posts: 2479
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:12 pm
Location: Simonstown
Boat: 670 Carry Cat "La Niña", 3.2m Andy "Shark Bait"
Best catch: 55kg Kob,105kg BEye,100kg YF, 35Kg Dorado,40Kg Hoo

Re: Yellowfin update

Postby Poenie » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:36 pm

By the looks of it, the Southeaster might just be starting!! 4 days of 20ish knots SE, followed by a few days of lighter S and SE, then stronger SE again!! Who knows, but getting BENT properly could be just around the corner!! :D
User avatar
Poenie
 
Posts: 1437
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 10:00 am
Location: Somerset West
Boat: Regular crew on "Fishtales"
Best catch: Anything on artificials!

Re: Yellowfin update

Postby Fin-S » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:51 pm

Nice stuff Justin, some excellent catches from the Med!. IIRC October used to see some giants....remember in 1995 seeing some towards Cyprus.
Fin-S
 
Posts: 489
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:42 pm
Boat: kayak to duck to skiboat to cruiser to sportfish to skiboat to duck...
Best catch: 15:1 blue, 10:1 black, 10:1 sail

Re: Yellowfin update

Postby BUSH1 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:11 pm

Dorado wrote:Buddy was on a bird charter in the deep today, chummed for a few min and suspects there was tuna under the boat!



Sure as hell that is a Yellowfin Mark :D :D :D
User avatar
BUSH1
 
Posts: 2082
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:47 pm
Location: Durbanville
Boat: Sniper 670 Carry Cat 2 x 90 Honda
Sniper 4.9 M Stingray Duck 2 x40 Mariners
Best catch: Yellowfin Tuna 102 kg 25/10/2012

Re: Yellowfin update

Postby will101 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:15 pm

no, that's most probably a seal - there are lots off the point. Best pack the tuna tackle away until April
User avatar
will101
 
Posts: 1239
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:27 am
Location: Houtbaai
Boat: 22ft Kei, 2X90 Yamaha
15ft bay/flats boat, 15hp
Best catch: Rod & reel: 50kg YF. Spear: 100kg wit hotnot

Re: Yellowfin update

Postby BUSH1 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:19 pm

FishExcutnr wrote:Its not yellowfin, but here some pics off some bluefin we have been lucky to catch off the back off a yacht in the med. I must admit there is a lot of fish around particularly south of italy towards corsica and sardinia. Been chasing baitballs on the surface with the tender but fishing with an overhead accurate havent had the distance and accuracy im craving from a gosa and aerocast ( will pick one up in spain next month!!). Any way these fish are super super skittish and incredibly hard to approach but nice to see large shoals actively feeding. Even had some bigger 60-70kg fish feeding on the surface 200m from land. heading to greece soon so we hunting a 50kg plus fish on the way. We aim to release all fish ( first two pics are of two fish kept due to injuries). thats why im in the water with the tail line.

Anyway craving a yellowfin, maybe next year. season is close, enjoy guys.



Some nice Pictures there Justin and a experience of a life time !!
User avatar
BUSH1
 
Posts: 2082
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:47 pm
Location: Durbanville
Boat: Sniper 670 Carry Cat 2 x 90 Honda
Sniper 4.9 M Stingray Duck 2 x40 Mariners
Best catch: Yellowfin Tuna 102 kg 25/10/2012

Re: Yellowfin update

Postby Stephena » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:20 pm

hahahaha Willie...

will101 wrote:no, that's most probably a seal - there are lots off the point. Best pack the tuna tackle away until April
User avatar
Stephena
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:17 am
Boat: 620 Supercat with 2x 70HP Suzuki 4s
Best catch: What ever is on the end of my line

Re: Yellowfin update

Postby Miles » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:56 pm

Just to whet the appetite for the upcoming season....

User avatar
Miles
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3899
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:32 am
Location: Cape Town
Boat: 18' Buttcat - "LITTLE MONSTER"
25' Cape Craft - "BLACK MAGIC"

Re: Yellowfin update

Postby Miles » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:57 pm

User avatar
Miles
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3899
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:32 am
Location: Cape Town
Boat: 18' Buttcat - "LITTLE MONSTER"
25' Cape Craft - "BLACK MAGIC"

Next

Return to Yellowfin Tuna Fishing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest