cape point safety procedure?

cape point safety procedure?

Postby vicker » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:12 pm

with the sad loss of Jeff Hawkins is there still a safety procedure for the deep i.e. logging out and in with Scarborough?
vicker

Boat: 23ft Butt Cat - 'Discovery' 2x90hp Suzuki's
Best catch: 40kg Yellowfin

Re: cape point safety procedure?

Postby snack » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:14 pm

Hi vicker,
When I was out a few weeks back, the boats were checking out with ' mobile ski' I think. Chat to the guys at the slip and listen to the radio.
Tight lines
snack

Boat: 4,2m Gemini Waverider & 40 Yamaha

Postby Grote-Koning » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:25 pm

call "ski boat mobile" (cape boat & skiboat club), you can log out & back in there.
Grote-Koning

Boat: Carry Cat 830
Fish Tales
Best catch: 103.8KG Yellowfin

Postby vicker » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:26 pm

tks guys, tight lines tomorrow
vicker

Boat: 23ft Butt Cat - 'Discovery' 2x90hp Suzuki's
Best catch: 40kg Yellowfin

Postby dubliquid » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:21 am

Use the RSA SafeTRX app that the NSRI developed. I used it last week for the first time. It is very good. I accidentally entered the wrong eta in the app and within 30 min of not logging in my contacts were notified, and NSRI called me. They can track your exact location and movement as long as your phone is on and the app is active
dubliquid

Boat: 17ft African Skiff with 60 Mariner Bigfoots
Best catch: 10kg Roosterfish25kg Jack Crevalle, 80kg YF

Postby FishExcutnr » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:19 pm

How does that work when theres no reception , no Internet and ur phone s dead? Yeah just leave a float plan with trusted family or friend. And eta, a delayed eta , possible fishing co-ords. And who to phone nsri, club etc. Than you can check in with a kavi or sat phone all day and carry an epirb or plb. Plus a handheld waterproof radio and an independent gps or chartplotter than can easily be transfer from a house battery to an engine battery.

Sign out at the club. Have your go to mechanics number and local nsri. Know your pan pan and mayday procedure and you can always get cape town radio on 16. Buy a local almanac think it channel 12 or 16 I forget, they will give I warning if navy is busy so u dont get shot haha.

And finally check out on vhf if available with cape boat.

Being prepared for everything makes you a safer skipper.
only weigh it when it does not fit in the box
FishExcutnr

Boat: Simons Town
Best catch: The 100 Club

Postby dubliquid » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:52 pm

Not sure how it all works but they told me they saw my movement all the way to the ammo dumps and to Kalk bay. When i didn't check in they phoned the first two contacts on my list to check if i was ok. Every person on the list gets an sms as you log your departure. It includes your route, eta, crew, launch and return point. I'll ask them to give us a "Dummies Guide" for the forum.
dubliquid

Boat: 17ft African Skiff with 60 Mariner Bigfoots
Best catch: 10kg Roosterfish25kg Jack Crevalle, 80kg YF

Postby ski-boat mobile » Wed May 27, 2015 10:45 am

Good day, my name is Andrew, and we are now running a voluntary, check in/out service for all boats, when you guys run to the deep. We have a set up that can now reach up to 40 miles, and more, off shore, and are maintaining a voluntary listening watch on channel 71, for booking in and out, and for any other safety aspect. We will be soon adding the Kavicom, to our system, and then you will be able to book in/out with that system, as well.
Currently Dave Melly is the operator at 'SKI-BOAT MOBILE' (ztq-430), which is the call sign that we use. This is a Cape Boat and Ski-boat club initiative, with the blessing of western province deep sea angling assoc. ,and fills the gap, left when Geoff died.
All calls are logged.
Dave can be contacted on 0824510382.
I, Andrew am on +447833317632, or on Skype (perrins2), or whatsapp or email ; Andrew.perrins@hotmail.co.uk.
I can answer any queries also here.
Safe boating
Last edited by ski-boat mobile on Fri May 29, 2015 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
ski-boat mobile

Boat: SAFETY AT SEA COAST STATION SKI-BOAT MOBILE (ZTQ430)
ZS1-SBM
Best catch: 70kg yellowfin

Postby Deon Seaport » Wed May 27, 2015 10:54 am

ski-boat mobile wrote:Good day, my name is Andrew, and we are now running a voluntary, check in/out service for all boats, when you guys run to the deep. We have a set up that can now reach up to 40 miles, and more, off shore, and are maintaining a voluntary listening watch on channel 71, for booking in and out, and for any other safety aspect. We will be soon adding the Kavicom, to our system, and then you will be able to book in/out with that system, as well.
Currently Dave Melly is the operator at 'SKI-BOAT MOBILE' (ztq-430), which is the call sign that we use. This is a Cape Boat and Ski-boat club run situation, with the blessing of western province deep sea angling assoc. ,and fills the gap, left when Geoff died.
All calls are logged.
Dave can be contacted on 0824510382.
I, Andrew am on +447833317632, or on Skype (perrins2), or whatsapp or email ; Andrew.perrins@hotmail.co.uk.
I can answer any queries also here.
Safe boating

Good job guys. Hats off to you Gents !
I live with fear, but she lets me fish once a week !
Deon Seaport

Boat: SEAPORT
Best catch: 70kg Yellowfin tuna, 27kg GT,15 KG Dog Tooth tuna

Postby Breads » Wed May 27, 2015 11:07 am

I second that Deon!
I've got the moves like Jagger
Breads

Boat: 18'6 Skicraft centre console - Hit'nRun
Best catch: nothing much

Next

Return to Yellowfin Tuna Fishing