Should Yellowfin Recreational Daily Bag Limits be reduced?

Re: Should Yellowfin Recreational Daily Bag Limits be reduce

Postby peks@mweb.co.za » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:05 pm

jirre die popcorn smaak lekker !
LUCK IS PREPARATION MEETING OPPORTUNITY
peks@mweb.co.za

Boat: LiaNelle, 28 Ft Magnum Walkaround
Best catch: My wife and any fish on deck

Postby BFC » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:19 pm

SeaBass wrote:Jeepers you guys are childish and so petty. Talk about knit picking!! I can give you my cell number if you want so you can rather phone me than bore everyone with your childish antics!! As I said I worked for a commercial fishing company. I was the grader and operations manager. When I say "My pole boats" it is a figure of speech. (Hopefully you understand what that means). I was referring to the boats the company owned, the boats I managed, not actually my pole boats. People who know me know that I never have owned pole boats in my life. I honestly can't believe how childish you guys are!! Go play at a cresh where you belong!! I honestly feel sorry for you spending valuable minutes of your life looking for shit to try humiliate someone. Go ahead I honestly couldn't be bothered anymore. I'm tired of trying to justify myself to numbskulls like yourselves who don't know the facts!! You have lost sight of what this thread is about, instead you would rather try and humiliate someone. Shame on you!!

Wanneer jy Jouself uitgee as n Toffie moenie huil as jy so bietjie gekou word nie !! :D

Ons het die boodskap gekry en inherent stem ons almal saam - dis die hoe die boodskap oorgedra word wat "Chine slap" veroorsaak 8-)

Wanneer iemand in die Kommersiele vis industrie die woord "conservation " , "Moral obligation" en "The right thing to do" gebruik sien ek dit as volg :
Attachments
130599-Honest-Vs-Virgin-And-Politician-Vs-Prostitute-.jpg
130599-Honest-Vs-Virgin-And-Politician-Vs-Prostitute-.jpg (49.78 KiB) Viewed 794 times
Last edited by BFC on Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BFC

Boat: 510 Ace 2xDF40 Suzuki's
share in 660 SDV AceCraft.
Best catch: 7kg Tigerfish , 75kg Yellowfin

Postby Chicken of the Sea » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:21 pm

Just came to comment that I think one of the arguments here is flawed and it keeps seeming to come up. The argument I am referring to is that its OK to keep a lot of fish as long as you know people who will take it so it doesn't go to waste. Yes I agree its better it gets used than sits getting freezer burn for 6 months however my understanding of the law surrounding this is that the fish you catch is for YOUR OWN consumption? I would think the very reason for this rule is to try and stop people from just raping and pillaging the fish stocks just because they can quite easily give it away.

Put it this way if my deep freeze was empty and I went out and caught 10 yellowtail on a Saturday my legal quota would then be full and I would not be allowed to keep more fish until I had consumed my current stocks. However if I have 10 buddies that each want a fish and I give all my fish away on the Sat then I could go out on the Sunday and catch another 10 yellowtail. I have now had twice the impact on the fish stocks than I was supposed to have had if I had abided by the rules. In fact ten yellowtail should last a single person for a long time so my impact would be minimal for a few weeks until my stocks ran dry. Now my ten buddies who haven't bought fishing licenses or put any effort in are now negatively affecting our fish stocks as well. Not saying I'm a saint and follow this to the tee but just something to think about before saying its cool to keep huge amounts of fish just because you can get rid of it. Everyone keeps saying don't give someone a hard time as long as he abides by the law, but if he's giving fish away technically he's not.

The regulation I am referring to:

(2) A recreational fishing permit entitles the holder to catch fish for own use only and not for the purpose of selling or trading fish

The part where it says own use seems pretty clear to me. I think we can safely say cooking fish and sharing it with your family and friends at a braai or something falls under own consumption but just giving giving fish away to every other oke you know to try and make sure it doesn't go to waste seems against regulation.

Anyway's I firmly believe in looking after fish that need it. Not too worried about our local pelagics at the moment though.
Chicken of the Sea

Boat: Permanent Crew on Triton
Best catch: 132KG Bronze Whaler, 100 KG Black Tip, 20kg Kob

Postby SeaBass » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:37 pm

Chicken of the Sea wrote:Just came to comment that I think one of the arguments here is flawed and it keeps seeming to come up. The argument I am referring to is that its OK to keep a lot of fish as long as you know people who will take it so it doesn't go to waste. Yes I agree its better it gets used than sits getting freezer burn for 6 months however my understanding of the law surrounding this is that the fish you catch is for YOUR OWN consumption? I would think the very reason for this rule is to try and stop people from just raping and pillaging the fish stocks just because they can quite easily give it away.

Put it this way if my deep freeze was empty and I went out and caught 10 yellowtail on a Saturday my legal quota would then be full and I would not be allowed to keep more fish until I had consumed my current stocks. However if I have 10 buddies that each want a fish and I give all my fish away on the Sat then I could go out on the Sunday and catch another 10 yellowtail. I have now had twice the impact on the fish stocks than I was supposed to have had if I had abided by the rules. In fact ten yellowtail should last a single person for a long time so my impact would be minimal for a few weeks until my stocks ran dry. Now my ten buddies who haven't bought fishing licenses or put any effort in are now negatively affecting our fish stocks as well. Not saying I'm a saint and follow this to the tee but just something to think about before saying its cool to keep huge amounts of fish just because you can get rid of it. Everyone keeps saying don't give someone a hard time as long as he abides by the law, but if he's giving fish away technically he's not.

(2) A recreational fishing permit entitles the holder to catch fish for own use only and not for the purpose of selling or trading fish

The part where it says own use seems pretty clear to me. I think we can safely say cooking fish and sharing it with your family and friends at a braai or something falls under own consumption but just giving giving fish away to every other oke you know to try and make sure it doesn't go to waste seems against regulation.

Anyway's I firmly believe in looking after fish that need it. Not too worried about our local pelagics at the moment though.

Good point there Chicken. So Erik and BFC and the other guys say what they are doing is right because they are catching within their legal quota, but in actual fact what they doing is illegal by catching to give to their neighbours etc. Obviously catching for your own needs and a bit extra for 1 or 2 friends is acceptable and there is nothing wrong with that but catching 14 yellowfin to feed half the neighbourhood is not acceptable. If their friends, neighbours or whoever don't own licences then they aren't contributing to DAFF which means they aren't helping to fund the fishery in any way. So before pointing fingers and knocking me maybe you guys should study your permits. Those regulations are there to stop guys like you filling your boats with tuna. Don't throw stones at others if you live in a glass house!! :roll:
SeaBass

Boat: 16' cat with 2x50 Honda's
Best catch: 90kg yellowfin, 23kg cob, 9kg Yellowtail

Postby Adrian » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:40 pm

In principle I agree Chicken of the sea but technically the statement "for own use" can be interpreted lots of ways. If it stated "own consumption" this is direct with no open ends. If we apply your understanding it refers that you, and no one else, are the only one that can eat this; i.e. not even your direct family will be able to feast along with you? :shock:
Adrian

Boat: Explorer 510cc with 2x50HP Yamahas
Best catch: Cob, not weighed

Postby Chicken of the Sea » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:47 pm

Adrian wrote:In principle I agree Chicken of the sea but technically the statement "for own use" can be interpreted lots of ways. If it stated "own consumption" this is direct with no open ends. If we apply your understanding it refers that you, and no one else, are the only one that can eat this; i.e. not even your direct family will be able to feast along with you? :shock:

Yes it's not quite as clear as they could have been but I think the words "for own use only" could never be interpreted as giving fish away to neighbours and friends.
Chicken of the Sea

Boat: Permanent Crew on Triton
Best catch: 132KG Bronze Whaler, 100 KG Black Tip, 20kg Kob

Postby BFC » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:49 pm

Adrian wrote:In principle I agree Chicken of the sea but technically the statement "for own use" can be interpreted lots of ways. If it stated "own consumption" this is direct with no open ends. If we apply your understanding it refers that you, and no one else, are the only one that can eat this; i.e. not even your direct family will be able to feast along with you? :shock:

This is exactly how it can be interpreted to the extreme.
BFC

Postby BulkCarrier » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:52 pm

SeaBass wrote:
Chicken of the Sea wrote:Just came to comment that I think one of the arguments here is flawed and it keeps seeming to come up. The argument I am referring to is that its OK to keep a lot of fish as long as you know people who will take it so it doesn't go to waste. Yes I agree its better it gets used than sits getting freezer burn for 6 months however my understanding of the law surrounding this is that the fish you catch is for YOUR OWN consumption? I would think the very reason for this rule is to try and stop people from just raping and pillaging the fish stocks just because they can quite easily give it away.

Good point there Chicken. So Erik and BFC and the other guys say what they are doing is right because they are catching within their legal quota, but in actual fact what they doing is illegal by catching to give to their neighbours etc. Obviously catching for your own needs and a bit extra for 1 or 2 friends is acceptable and there is nothing wrong with that but catching 14 yellowfin to feed half the neighbourhood is not acceptable. If their friends, neighbours or whoever don't own licences then they aren't contributing to DAFF which means they aren't helping to fund the fishery in any way. So before pointing fingers and knocking me maybe you guys should study your permits. Those regulations are there to stop guys like you filling your boats with tuna. Don't throw stones at others if you live in a glass house!! :roll:

Law is a funny thing. Regulation also says "purpose of selling or trading fish". So if I give it away without accepting anything, I am not breaking the law.

Going to be very hard to prove that I wasn't present when the fish that I gave away was consumed. I could have given it to my friends to keep because I ran out of freezer space
because of the 10 YF in my freezer.
BulkCarrier

Boat: Kamassi Craft 520 / 2 x 60 hp Suzuki 4-strokes (DF60A)
Best catch: Yellowfin Tuna, Longfin,Bek,Lots of tail,etc

Postby Erik » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:54 pm

Seabass, seems like you want me to humiliate you again?
Erik

Boat: 28ft Gecat - "ICE"
Best catch: 94kg Yellowfin

Postby BFC » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:54 pm

SeaBass wrote:

Seabass , Level with us please come clean - Are you a Spietcop ??
BFC

PreviousNext

Return to Yellowfin Tuna Fishing