Should Yellowfin Recreational Daily Bag Limits be reduced?

Re: Should Yellowfin Recreational Daily Bag Limits be reduce

Postby Chicken of the Sea » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:02 pm

Don't get me wrong I don't believe its a huge issue giving fish away within reason I just think people need to look at every side of an argument. In South Africa, especially Cape Town, so often we see the same old knee jerk reaction to anyone who voices an opinion on looking after fish. The basic reaction always seems to be "I am within my legal limit so f$#K off!" . Legal doesn't always make something ethical. And let's face it DAFF is a branch of Government so assuming that the quotas they have put in place are sustainable in every way is just plain naive. My approach is to put effort in where its more important and effective. I will NEVER keep a big breeding coastal fish like a large kob or steenbras nor will I keep a leerie. However I will keep 10 yellowtail or snoek without hesitation as their stocks are healthy. Not a bunny hugger its more of a selfish cause, I love catching fish so want them to still be around for a long time. Problem is when anyone tries to discuss these issues they usually just get attacked which is mostly what I am seeing in this post.

Perhaps Seabass started out a bit more confrontational than he should have which sparked this offensive but I think its just because he has such a passion for what he is talking about. For me its always refreshing to see people that have a passion for something like this. I also think the way people have attacked him for his past employ is just irrelevant and is just being used to deflect from the quite relevant topic that we should be trying to discuss in a civilised manner. Doesn't actually matter at all what his past is what he's saying is something we should all at least think about instead of wasting energy getting into a mudslinging match. I am actually amazed at how well he has kept his cool considering the way some other people here have handled things.
Chicken of the Sea

Boat: Permanent Crew on Triton
Best catch: 132KG Bronze Whaler, 100 KG Black Tip, 20kg Kob

Postby peks@mweb.co.za » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:14 pm

Nou jaa....
Attachments
FB_IMG_1447870055917[1].jpg
FB_IMG_1447870055917[1].jpg (40.4 KiB) Viewed 1005 times
LUCK IS PREPARATION MEETING OPPORTUNITY
peks@mweb.co.za

Boat: LiaNelle, 28 Ft Magnum Walkaround
Best catch: My wife and any fish on deck

Postby BFC » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:22 pm

Chicken of the Sea wrote:Don't get me wrong I don't believe its a huge issue giving fish away within reason I just think people need to look at every side of an argument. In South Africa, especially Cape Town, so often we see the same old knee jerk reaction to anyone who voices an opinion on looking after fish. The basic reaction always seems to be "I am within my legal limit so f$#K off!" . Legal doesn't always make something ethical. And let's face it DAFF is a branch of Government so assuming that the quotas they have put in place are sustainable in every way is just plain naive. My approach is to put effort in where its more important and effective. I will NEVER keep a big breeding coastal fish like a large kob or steenbras nor will I keep a leerie. However I will keep 10 yellowtail or snoek without hesitation as their stocks are healthy. Not a bunny hugger its more of a selfish cause, I love catching fish so want them to still be around for a long time. Problem is when anyone tries to discuss these issues they usually just get attacked which is mostly what I am seeing in this post.

Perhaps Seabass started out a bit more confrontational than he should have which sparked this offensive but I think its just because he has such a passion for what he is talking about. For me its always refreshing to see people that have a passion for something like this. I also think the way people have attacked him for his past employ is just irrelevant and cowardly and is just being used to deflect from the quite relevant topic that we should be trying to discuss in a civilised manner. Doesn't actually matter at all what his past is what he's saying is something we should all at least think about instead of wasting energy getting into a mudslinging match. I am actually amazed at how well he has kept his cool considering the way some other people here have handled things.

Chicken - all your points noted and valid .

but Who made Seabass the Gatekeeper of the Garden of Eden ? this thread is a lightning rod for a direct confrontation to what somebody should have done the way he wanted, that's not passionate that's Poeserig and totally uncalled for and unnecessary.
The way he portrayed himself as a participant in Comm Fishing , then having a Moral gemoeds bekakking does / did / still don't add up . Like a Hooker that turned Nun
Fuck like someone who stopped smoking that's a Health freak all of a sudden and posts his bicycle routes on facebook every day.

Speaking of which I think Bush1 has had more Tuna thru his System than a Sushi Stand on Chinese NewYear :D

We are a large group of very special individuals on this forum - we are all passionate in our own ways
but also trust we don't catch more than we can use, If its a bridge to far rather go voice your concerns on bunnyhuggersRus.com.

This law was written to cover recreational Line fishing in general Where species are 10kg or smaller so YFT and big Cob are slight exceptions to the mould of thought.
Attachments
Seabass.jpeg
Seabass.jpeg (39.62 KiB) Viewed 993 times
BFC

Boat: 510 Ace 2xDF40 Suzuki's
share in 660 SDV AceCraft.
Best catch: 7kg Tigerfish , 75kg Yellowfin

Postby Chicken of the Sea » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:31 pm

BFC wrote:
Chicken of the Sea wrote:Don't get me wrong I don't believe its a huge issue giving fish away within reason I just think people need to look at every side of an argument. In South Africa, especially Cape Town, so often we see the same old knee jerk reaction to anyone who voices an opinion on looking after fish. The basic reaction always seems to be "I am within my legal limit so f$#K off!" . Legal doesn't always make something ethical. And let's face it DAFF is a branch of Government so assuming that the quotas they have put in place are sustainable in every way is just plain naive. My approach is to put effort in where its more important and effective. I will NEVER keep a big breeding coastal fish like a large kob or steenbras nor will I keep a leerie. However I will keep 10 yellowtail or snoek without hesitation as their stocks are healthy. Not a bunny hugger its more of a selfish cause, I love catching fish so want them to still be around for a long time. Problem is when anyone tries to discuss these issues they usually just get attacked which is mostly what I am seeing in this post.

Perhaps Seabass started out a bit more confrontational than he should have which sparked this offensive but I think its just because he has such a passion for what he is talking about. For me its always refreshing to see people that have a passion for something like this. I also think the way people have attacked him for his past employ is just irrelevant and cowardly and is just being used to deflect from the quite relevant topic that we should be trying to discuss in a civilised manner. Doesn't actually matter at all what his past is what he's saying is something we should all at least think about instead of wasting energy getting into a mudslinging match. I am actually amazed at how well he has kept his cool considering the way some other people here have handled things.

but Who made Seabass the Gatekeeper of the Garden of Eden ? this thread is a lightning rod for a direct confrontation to what somebody should have done the way he wanted, that's not passionate that's Poeserig and totally uncalled for and unnecessary.
The way he portrayed himself as a participant in Comm Fishing , then having a Moral gemoeds bekakking does / did / still don't add up . Like a Hooker that turned Nun
Fuck like someone who stopped smoking that's a Health freak all of a sudden and posts his bicycle routes on facebook every day.

Speaking of which I think Bush1 has had more Tuna thru his System than a Sushi Stand on Chinese NewYear :D

We are a large group of very special individuals on this forum - we are all passionate in our own ways
but also trust we don't catch more than we can use, If its a bridge to far rather go voice your concerns on bunnyhuggersRus.com.

This law was written to cover recreational Line fishing in general Where species are 10kg or smaller so YFT and big Cob are slight exceptions to the mould of thought.

Yeah BFC I was just adding another look at the debate wasn't trying to start more shit. Even removed the word cowardly from my last post as I realised I was going a bit far but I see you caught it before I did :lol: :lol: . Anyways I think we all get a bit of cabin fever during the week when we can't fish I am definitely dying to get out there! Tight lines all
Chicken of the Sea

Boat: Permanent Crew on Triton
Best catch: 132KG Bronze Whaler, 100 KG Black Tip, 20kg Kob

Postby BFC » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:43 pm

Chicken of the Sea wrote:
BFC wrote:

Yeah BFC I was just adding another look at the debate wasn't trying to start more shit. Even removed the word cowardly from my last post as I realised I was going a bit far but I see you caught it before I did :lol: :lol: . Anyways I think we all get a bit of cabin fever during the week when we can't fish I am definitely dying to get out there! Tight lines all

Ha ha , having this tripe going on for 8 pages already is absurd - its almost as volatile as the bassfishing forum when someone went fishing less than a week from a competition @ the location of the competition - those okes are hardcore CCTV camera's , cellphone signal history locators , SWAT, The Basspolice - almal is daar :lol:
BFC

Postby BFC » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:51 pm

To the Original Post :

To reduce YFT bag limits I don't think will make a difference to the current status Quo

4-5 Crew @ 2fish per person = 80% reduction but 8-10 YFT is still a hell of a lot of fish.
3 fish per person = 12-15

So that brings the Moral responsibility back to each individual angler and trust that they do so.

If a person feels better to release a fish do so as well.
BFC

Postby Press On » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:21 pm

:oops: :oops: :oops: I got a call from a close friend and fellow fisherman of saldanha ."wanna gaan julle caapse moffies stop" :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Press On

Boat: 15.6 f/c acecraft 2x40four stroke honda
Best catch: still trying

Postby FishingAddict » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:21 pm

Craigo and Seabass i trust by now you have resolution on this topic your intentions mean well but is not received very well every year on various threads over the years i would appreciate it if you could put this one to bed thanks, if you have a personal preference please enjoy it .There's doesn't seem to be anymore Popcorn for this topic anymore guyz who dont know each other disrespecting each other over the net and probably have never met .I would like to promote the good nature of fisherman help each other at slip when needed ,help each other at sea if needed and enjoy the fishing and have a good laugh around a braai and that's the essence of Boat fishing!!!!

On the other hand some nice calm seas predicted next week with a little SW.Whooooo hoooooo!!!!!!!!
Attachments
craigo.JPG
FishingAddict

Boat: "Regular crew on Fish Tails" and "Go for IT"
Best catch: 56kg yellowfin

Postby Bingo » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:45 pm

Ek ook nou al gatvol popcorn gevreet.. hell I have been lucky enough to have caught 2 YFT in my lifetime. If you look at the amount of recreational fisherman that can actually afford to go YFT fishing on a regular basis, their catch is a drop in the ocean compared to the big commercial tuna boats.

Nothing wrong with conservation, but the definition of that is different for all of us... ;)
Bingo

Boat: 13ft Hartley with 40hp Yamaha and 4hp kicker motor.
Best catch: 43kg Y-fin on 20lb line. 13kg Yellowtail.

Postby BigLes » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:18 am

So no tuna fillet for Big Les???

Someone can pass on a fillet for me, I will say I ate it in your presence! lol or that im storing it for you....
BigLes

Boat: Hopefully soon...
Best catch: 15kg Mussel Cracker, 13kg Geelbek, 18kg GT

PreviousNext

Return to Yellowfin Tuna Fishing