Illegal selling of Tuna

Illegal selling of Tuna

Postby Miles » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:25 pm

A few days ago, the topic was raised whether recreationals bag limits on tuna should be decreased. Plenty of view points from both the sides.

The reality is that the VAST majority of tuna anglers here in the Cape sell their tuna ILLEGALLY. This seems to be a Cape Town thing. Sure, it DOES happen in some places up the coast, but not in the sheer magnitude it does here in the Cape.

The reality is that in the Cape we have only a handfull of true sports anglers, who will keep what they need for their own consumption and release the rest. The others, prefer to fill their fish box's and sell their fish ILLEGALLY, so as to make a quick buck. The saddest fact is that almost all of the illegal tuna selling anglers don't need the money, because if they can afford a boat, they are by no means struggling financially. Which means, it's done purely out of GREED. This makes me question their morals and ethics. If one THINKS it's ok to break a law by selling your tuna, what's next? Oh, we caught no fish today, let's steal this other anglers car radio from his parked car at Millers! Hell, why stop there, lets steal his whole car! But wait, he left his house keys in the car, so let's go empty his house!!.............where does this end? What sort of example are we setting for the next generation? Break what-ever laws YOU feel is OK to break?

Anycase, why this rant NOW? When-ever the issue of recreationals selling their fish ILLEGALLY and crashing the local market is raised, it's always blamed on the other commercial boats, the pole boats, the longliners, etc, etc.....

On Monday, the price of Yellowfin Tuna was R50 per kg. The weather was poor for Tuesday and Wednesday, so no fishing for the ski-boats. Thursday we went to sea, as well as numerous recreational boats. The fishing was very good and recreational boats were coming back with 5-20 yellowfin tuna. The VAST majority of that fish was sold ILLEGALLY by the recreational anglers and the price dropped to R30 per kg!! That's almost 50% less!!! All the commercial pole boats are still at sea, so are the longliners. This price drop was PURELY from recreational anglers ILLEGALLY selling their fish..................

How would you feel if you've invested a substatial amount of money into a business, only to have a guy open shop next to you, selling the same product you have, only his was stolen, so he sells it at less than your cost price?

What saddens me the most is that this mindset of doing whatever one pleases, regardless of what the law dictates, is why our country is the way it is. So, what, you ask, an angler is illegally selling his fish, where's the harm? Besides, it's not like he is stealing or killing somebody.....

Your local petty thief rationalises it the same way. It's ok to break into somebody's house, it's not like he is killing somebody.......

Anycase, rant over........
Miles
Site Admin

Boat: 18' Buttcat - "LITTLE MONSTER"
25' Cape Craft - "BLACK MAGIC"

Re: Illegal selling of Tuna

Postby will101 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:48 pm

The buyers are also to blame in my mind. They should only be allowed to buy from licenced commercials. they still make their money doesnt matter where the fish came from. I keep an eye on the fish prices in the local fish market (f4a) and have NEVER seen a price drop in say yellowtail or tuna when the fish are dik.
will101

Boat: 22ft Kei, 2X90 Yamaha
15ft bay/flats boat, 15hp
Best catch: Rod & reel: 50kg YF. Spear: 100kg wit hotnot

Postby Dorado » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:56 pm

It is quite shocking how the price drops so quickly on the local market, but i still cant believe that the recreational boats are completely to blame for this! lets say for argument sakes there was 10 boats that each sold 10 yellowfin on Tuesday, that is 100 fish on the market, which sounds like a lot but in the great scheme of things is not..... when all the pole boats come in at the same time you can have the market then flooded with 10 times that amount and there is not such a radical price change all the time, besides.... of those recreational boats how many of them will bring in good quality fish? I think there is more to blame than just us recreational boats!

I cant say i have ever seen a fish shop change their prices per kg or a restaurant change their prices day to day, so are the buyers not also to blame for this?

I am by no means saying that it is right for recs to sell fish, but i don't think that recs can be blamed for the sudden price change!!
Dorado

Boat: 670 Carry Cat "La Niña", 3.2m Andy "Shark Bait"
Best catch: 55kg Kob,105kg BEye,100kg YF, 35Kg Dorado,40Kg Hoo

Postby backline » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:23 pm

I would like to offer another couple of points, I know of a number of pole boats who docked in the last week with big catches.of longfin which will be canned AND a lot of yellowfin amongst the longfin which will be sold fresh. The pole boats big money comes from the longfin catch and a lot of them cant be bothered with bleeding reaming and H&G yellowfin. The result is plenty of yellowfin that are classed as "non flyers" abd thrown on the local market because of poor quality.
Also it is the time of the year when commercial flights are difficult to get to certain destinations, and it becomes more difficult to book space in the hold.
Collusion between the buyers of fresh seafood is RIFE and I would put the price drop right there.
I believe the price of yellowtail has dropped by 50%....................
backline

Postby Seeker » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:33 pm

Yellowtail prices also drop when either the commercial line boats or the trekkers catch tons of fish (thats actual tons) over a extended period. And the reason most often heard is lack of freeze capacity. Don't know if the same applies to tuna.
Seeker

Boat: centre console set up to sight cast for yellowtail

Postby Miles » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:34 pm

The problem is that most of the illegal sales is directly to the end user, in this case restuarants.......

A few years ago, i supplied a Cape Town Fish Market branch with tuna. Often, AFTER confirming an order, i would arrive at the shop, only to be told, they no longer need the tuna, as they had bought their fish, from a recreational angler at 30-50% less than the market value. The irony is that these TYPES of restuarants are the ones boasting about how they only use SASSI complaint fish species or MSC certified fisheries, so as to preserve the future fish stocks, yet they then go and buy their fish ILLEGALLY!! :o :o :o :o As i said before, GREED makes too many people break the law to easily.....

Regarding the number of fish being caught in a day. Look at yesterday as a prime example. Many recreational boats caught 10+ yellowfin. Some charter boats up to 20 yellowfin. Let's say their were 25 recreational and charter boats in the deep. Average it out to a mere 8 fish per boat, that's 200 yellowfin, at an average weight of 50kg's, it's 5 ton of tuna for the day. Guess where the bulk of that fish ended up??

The recreational angler KNOWS it's illegal to sell his fish. The buyer/restuarant KNOWS it illegal to buy the fish from them, so, the price that they get or ask is very much lower than the market price. Pretty much the same for ANY stolen product bought........

So, now Restuarant A has bought yellowfin tuna for R30. His usual LEGAL supplier calls him up and offers him fish, but he tells the supplier that he can get fish at R30, so why should he pay a higher price.

The Cape Town tuna market is very small. It's VERY easy to flood the market and make the prices crash. And YES, when the fish is thick and ALL the commercial class vessels come back fully loaded, the price DOES fall. But this is NOT the case yesterday. Yesterday's price crash was PURELY due to recreationals selling their fish illegally.......
Miles
Site Admin

Postby Miles » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:37 pm

I would like to offer another couple of points, I know of a number of pole boats who docked in the last week with big catches.of longfin which will be canned AND a lot of yellowfin amongst the longfin which will be sold fresh. The pole boats big money comes from the longfin catch and a lot of them cant be bothered with bleeding reaming and H&G yellowfin. The result is plenty of yellowfin that are classed as "non flyers" abd thrown on the local market because of poor quality.

Backline, i completely agree with you there. HOWEVER, between Tuesday and Thurday, ALL those boats were at sea. So, they did not offload during those two days.............
Miles
Site Admin

Postby Miles » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:42 pm

Why did you not contact the authorities to have those stores checked out? Seems odd, easy to bust that type of operation yet you don't appear to have suitable evidence to support your assertion represented as fact when you cannot be sure.

Ben, who would you contact? Mcm/Daff? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: They're not interested. SAPS? With our crime rate as it is, wonder how much help they will be in this 'victimless' crime.....

What you have however done is made me realise i should be more pro-active. Maybe i should go raise it with Daff and get the media involved, so as to expose the anglers as well as the restuarants and buyers involved......

However, if you're trying to say recreationals do NOT sell their tuna, then either you've clearly no idea what happens in the real world.

Note, i did not say ALL recreationals sell their fish, as that would be untrue. I know of quite a few forum members who would NEVER sell fish and i would not want to insult them. Unfortunately, the reality is that MOST recreational anglers sell their tuna ILLEGALLY.
Miles
Site Admin

Postby peks@mweb.co.za » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:46 pm

Ek dink Miles het goeie punt. As ek comm was sou ek ook befok gewees het. Maar behalwe dit. Sy bottomline redenasie is spot on ! En dis dat baie van ons di crime in die land verafsku. En as dit ons pas presies dit doen. Verkoop vis onwettig. Im no fking angel but its true.... en nou voel ek soos Oscar nou moet voel..guilty as charged. Now let me think about this a litter bit longer...hie vanuit die Zanzibar
LUCK IS PREPARATION MEETING OPPORTUNITY
peks@mweb.co.za

Boat: LiaNelle, 28 Ft Magnum Walkaround
Best catch: My wife and any fish on deck

Postby peks@mweb.co.za » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:47 pm

My glas wyn en die popcorn smaak nou insybefokste in !
LUCK IS PREPARATION MEETING OPPORTUNITY
peks@mweb.co.za

Boat: LiaNelle, 28 Ft Magnum Walkaround
Best catch: My wife and any fish on deck

Next

Return to Yellowfin Tuna Fishing