how far to troll birds effectivley behind the boat

how far to troll birds effectivley behind the boat

Postby jpet » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:08 pm

Hi guys

I have been to the deep a few times with my boat and trolled 2 birds

I have notice some boats pulling birds 30m behind the boat and I have also seen some bird being trolled at least 50 - 60 m behind some boats.

lets consider this for fairly calm sea conditions. I do assume bigger sea one would have the birds closer etc

What would be a good distance to effectively troll birds behind the boat ?

what distance has work for you or would you say is the best distance that gave you positive results
jpet

Boat: BUTTCAT 750 XL Gamefisher walk around cabin, powered by twin 115 HP Suzuki 4 stroke motors

Boat Name - URISHA , (BUTTCAT GAMEFISHER WALK AROUND - Built by NAUTI-TECH) at FBYC
Best catch: 91 kg Yellowfin Tuna

Re: how far to troll birds effectivley behind the boat

Postby Miles » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:29 am

Hi

That's a very tough question to answer........

Different boats have different wakes, which makes life very difficult for anglers. You'll find that certain colors only work on certain boats. Similarly, you need to position your lures differently behind various boats, to get the desired result....

Case in point: old dr.fish was a 26' cat. I would run my lures very close to the boat. Current dr.fish is a 33' cat, and she does not yield good results if I run my lures close in. I must run my lures quite far back, to get strikes......

Point is, you need to work out exactly what works on your boat. This is not an easy feat as sometimes fish will prefer a certain color or lure on that particular day and no matter where you put that lure in the spread, it will get eaten.

I would run two identical bird and squid set ups. Put one 30m behind the boat, the second one quite far back, 50 to 70m behind the boat. Run it like that for a good few months and you will see which gets the most strikes CONSISTENTLY.

Also, watch what the successful boats are doing. If a certain boat is getting multiple strikes in an area, check how far back he is running his lures as well as what colors.

Figuring out that perfect trolling spread for your boat is part of the fun!! :mrgreen:
Miles
Site Admin

Boat: 18' Buttcat - "LITTLE MONSTER"
25' Cape Craft - "BLACK MAGIC"

Postby Fishingmike » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:16 pm

Miles, what trolling setup would you recommend to start off with?
Fishingmike

Boat: Scorpion cat with 2x40 wx yamaha motors
Best catch: still swimming

Postby jpet » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:34 am

thank you for the feedback Miles !

much appreciated advice
jpet

Boat: BUTTCAT 750 XL Gamefisher walk around cabin, powered by twin 115 HP Suzuki 4 stroke motors

Boat Name - URISHA , (BUTTCAT GAMEFISHER WALK AROUND - Built by NAUTI-TECH) at FBYC

Postby Sergey » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:41 am

I had good results trolling far out. Birds running 70-90m out. Where the wake white water diminishes. I picked this up from a US game fiahing forum. Thinking about it, i want my birds running on the surface attracting attention. So running it where the wake is still very white and turbulent may attract less attention. The divers are different story as they rung under the wake. On my baby duck i had great success on tail running 10m bunjees with pink williamsons. Deadly set up and when you stop the lures float up and don hang down threatening your props.
Sergey

Boat: Ark Otter 10hp 4 stroke:)
Best catch: 49kg YF

Postby Bollie » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:32 am

Sergey, if possible please advise me on the floating Williamsons, I need to make my bungee lures float. Maybe a picture also pleas?
Bollie

Boat: Supercat 520, 2x 50 Suzuki 4s
Best catch: 32kg Silver Cob

Postby Sergey » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:44 pm

The Williamson 160 purple and pink, they float when not pulled. So when you stop, the wind alone is enough to keep you off your lures.
Sergey

Postby jpet » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:08 pm

Ill update my latest findings WRT the distance

on my last x2 outings i pulled birds 30 - 40 meters behind my boat and got smashed every time

my max distance was 50m

optimum was 35m , but also looking at sea condtions to see if the bird was working as designed
jpet

Postby Sergey » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:22 pm

Teolling closer might have an advantage of being able to attract the fish to the chum sooner/more succesfully.
Sergey

Return to Yellowfin Tuna Fishing