Launching from Hout Bay or Gordons Bay ?

Launching from Hout Bay or Gordons Bay ?

Postby Philip » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:35 am

I am a complete novice on tuna fishing, trying to get to understand the basics. One of the basics for me is the trailering/launching of the slightly bigger boats, given our traffic scenario and road access to the Southern areas. I stay in Durbanville and would like your opinion on launching from Hout Bay vs Gordons Bay. I do understand that it is somewhat further to get to the tuna grounds (Canyon) from Gordons Bay but on the other hand the idea of struggling through Southern Suburbs traffic on narrow roads, quite frankly frightens me. Are there other benefits in launching from Hout Bay ? eg would one be likely to often go in a more westerly direction after the tuna, which makes Hout Bay quite a bit closer, especially on the home run ?
Any pointers will be appreciated. Apologies if this matter has been covered before.
Philip

Boat: Butt Cat (Kamassi) 520
Best catch: Not worth mentioning.

Re: Launching from Hout Bay or Gordons Bay ?

Postby backline » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:54 am

I would say Gordon's Bay, you have the Point yellowtail option on your way to and from the deep
backline

Postby backline » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:58 am

backline wrote:I would say Gordon's Bay, you have the Point yellowtail option on your way to and from the deep

And the tuna are usually west and northwest at the END OF THE SEASON for a short period only, otherwise most of the action is in the south,
backline

Postby Miles » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:32 am

Hi

When running to the deep, specifically the Canyon area, which is where you would predominantly be fishing, it would add an extra 20nm to your trip if you run from Gordons Bay.

Towing a bigger class boat does require some getting use to. We regularly tow 25 and 28' class boats all over and it soon becomes second nature. Simple things to remember, keep your speed between 70 to 90 km/h, depending on the size of your vessel. Take your corners VERY wide, especially if you have a very big vessel. Other than that, it's just practicing........

Coming from our side of the world, there are some other issues worth looking at. The R300 is a VERY dangerous road and i would NOT recommend towing that route on a regular basis. Lose a wheel bearing or similar and you could be in serious danger!! Then there is the weigh bridge on the N2 that you have to pass. They're not difficult, but do on occasion pull us boaters over. Unfortunately, many tow vehicles have silly tow ratings and this usually means a hefty fine........

Hout bay is considerably easier to get too. Get on the N1, straight into town, up Kloof Neck, which is a roughly 2km steep climb. You should not have a problem towing her up there with any modern 4x4. Then you get a few km of narrow twisty road and then onto Victoria Road, all along the waters edge into Hout Bay. VERY easy towing route!! You should also remember, we usually tow very early morning and relatively late in the evening, so you get minimal traffic and generally have the road to yourself.

The only really horrible place to tow through is when going to Millers Point. That stretch between Muizenberg and Fish Hoek has been under construction for almost 10 years already!! The roads in ridiculously narrow and often one has to contend with cyclists too! Not fun!!

Another option worth exploring is to keep your boat on a mooring at either False Bay Yacht club or Hout Bay. Hout bay also has a boat yard, that will store your boat, clean it and launch and retrieve you (all at a fee of course!! :lol: :lol: ). Might be worth exploring these options for those few months that the tuna bite.....
Miles
Site Admin

Boat: 18' Buttcat - "LITTLE MONSTER"
25' Cape Craft - "BLACK MAGIC"

Postby will101 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:32 am

You don't see many ski-boats (talking 5 to 6m) running to the deep from houtbay regularly. Theres a reason most of the boats are 28ft plus. Also not many options if theres nothing in the deep, with the tail usually being early biters at the point. Launching Millers is a much better option.
will101

Boat: 22ft Kei, 2X90 Yamaha
15ft bay/flats boat, 15hp
Best catch: Rod & reel: 50kg YF. Spear: 100kg wit hotnot

Postby Philip » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:59 pm

Thank you for the responses. Good news seems to be that I have more than one viable option.
Philip

Boat: Butt Cat (Kamassi) 520
Best catch: Not worth mentioning.

Return to Yellowfin Tuna Fishing