Re: Langebaan Report

Postby Kingfisher » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:01 pm

Cool, thanks Josef
Kingfisher

Boat: 15ft Ski Craft c/c with 60HP Yamaha
Best catch: 12kg white mussel cracker, 12kg cobby

Postby Adrian » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:43 pm

I know that Josef, but in order to get fat fresh prawn you must go pump on the prawn island? Is there another place where you can get prawn close to Spreeuwalle? I live 75 meters from Mykonos entrance so I would know.
Adrian

Boat: Explorer 510cc with 2x50HP Yamahas
Best catch: Cob, not weighed

Postby josef » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:03 am

Adrian
What I often do when the tide is low in the afternoon and the wind is pumping,I go over the hill with the road that go to the reserve and pump nice pink prawns from the beach and then keep them alive and then go out the next morning.I suppose one can do the same if you want to go out at Mykonos.
josef

Boat: 14 Ft Ski Craft f/c with 2 x 30 hp Mariners
Boatname:FISHAHOLIC
Best catch: 5 Kg cob

Postby josef » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:10 am

Adrian ,whats the best time of year for Spreeuwalle?I suppose the water temp also play a big role there.I must also change my game plan.Not much nice big stump around up in the line region.I don't take any fish under 30 cm,but prefer the ones over 35 cm.At least there something to eat on the bigger ones.
josef

Postby Adrian » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:32 am

September-April
Adrian

Postby Adrian » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:37 am

Let me give you a trade secret. Run to the Dam just before the change of the tide and anchor a few meters from the pipe. You WILL catch fish there when they enter or exit the Dam, anything from blacktail, steenbras and even Cob other than the normal stump and DECENT size
Adrian

Postby josef » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:55 pm

Thak you for that tip Adrian.Will try it.
josef

Postby Adrian » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:55 pm

If you missed the changing tide you can always anchor next to the Dam in calmer water and catch from the Dam wall; ensure that you don't pass the fence as that area is restricted (this is however where the pipe entance /exit is). One can be tempted to take oysters lining the dam but don't; it is illegal and full of iron from the residue given off by the plant. That oysters are massive but I would not advise you to take any; also do not go pass the fence or face getting a hefty fine as the oil line is on the inside and security will chase you away in an instant and how do I know this?

Last year June 16-17 we decided to walk to the Dam from Mykonos; the distance almost killed us and we had no water. When we got there we saw an unmanned rubberduck anchored next to The Dam wall; we found this very odd. We walked to the Dam wall and saw 4 guys that passed through the fence. We thought if they can do it we also going to give it a go and we entered. They had fat fish, all different species and every cast was vas. We forgot all about the treacherous road we covered to get there when we saw all the fish; fatigue was of no concern anymore. Just when we got next to them we cast lines and two minutes later a bakkie pulled up to inform us of the restrictions. We were seriously cheesed off as these guys had more than their fair share of loot. The security said we can fish there as long as we stay on the other side of the fence and guess what we just missed the change of the tide. We cast our lines in different spots but to no avail; no bites. The only kick we got from that trip was to see the four guys sukkel to launch their rubberduck again; they came in on the high and the tide went out leaving the boat stranded. We would have gladly helped them but they never asked for assistance for whatever reason; maybe they thought we are going to gooi a pirate on them and hijack the vessel or they had too much pride or maybe they thought we would ask for a ride back :lol: It would have been nice and it would have saved us a 7 km's hike :lol: You can get fish there throughout the year and if you there at just exactly the right time you will be blessed with Yellowtail next to the wall; OOPS! Now you know where our secret spot is. There is also a reef closer to Mykonos but this co-ordinates I won't post here; it took me hundreds if not thousands of rands to find it. December 2015- January 2016 we caught quota on this reef everyday.
Adrian

Postby Kingfisher » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:07 am

Hi Adrian
Must agree, that little area at the pipe always produces some huge surprizes. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Kingfisher

Boat: 15ft Ski Craft c/c with 60HP Yamaha
Best catch: 12kg white mussel cracker, 12kg cobby

Postby Adrian » Mon May 01, 2017 5:08 pm

Went out yesterday not very hopeful of catching anything but managed to land 9 Stump in a jiffy; decent size. At first picked up smaller class on prawn then used bloodworm and caught some nice Bloukop. It was actually strange that we managed to catch fish this time of the year and Bloukoppe just added extra satisfaction; guess the season extended itself. :D
Adrian

PreviousNext

Return to Langebaan Lagoon