Dummies Guide to Breede River Fishing

Re: Dummies Guide to Breede River Fishing

Postby Gareth88 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:35 am

Hi Miles,

As always, thanks for the detailed advice. I'm sure it will help a lot of anglers. I just wanted to ask how you would rig the float for leeries and the sinker for kob (just a sliding sinker with a swivel perhaps).

Thanks and I look forward to hearing another one of your reports after your next visit to the river.
Gareth88

Postby Miles » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:31 pm

Leeries:

I use a very small float. Those orange ones the rock and surf anglers use when catching elf/shad, which is available at almost all tackle shops. The idea behind using a small float is simply to show me where my livebait is. Because there is almost always current in the river, your livebait WILL be close to the surface, unless you put sinkers on your line.

When i'm drifting, i'll put two livebaits out and then throw plugs or spinners. The floats will show me where my baits are, so that i don't snag the line with my plug/spinner. When i'm too lazy to throw plugs/spinners, i will drift with 2 live baits, but NO floats. Just drift lines...........

The very small float offers very little resistance, when a fish grabs the livebait. This means you will get more hook-ups.....

How i rig up:

Tie a small swivel to your main line. Tie on your trace. I use 16-18kg mono trace for leerie's, as they have sandpapery mouths which will abrade through thinner mono traces. I use a trace of about 1 meter long. If i'm fishing a shallow area, with plenty of grass or weed on the bottom, i will shorten the trace, so that the livebait can't go hide in the grass/weed.

NOW slide the float onto the trace. Tie on your hook. Easy as that.

The float can thus slide up the trace, until it reaches the swivel and not further.....

Check the write-up i did for leerie fishing:
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1033

Cob

Very simple. Running trace, with a hook trace of 18-23kg mono. The thick trace is just so that a large fish does not abrade through your trace during a long fight. Sinker weight's vary from 2-6 ounce, depending on water depth and current strength.......

Miles
Site Admin

Boat: 33' Buttcat - "DR.FISH"
18' Buttcat - "LITTLE MONSTER"
25' Cape Craft

Postby Darraaz » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:32 pm

Hi Miles, and members!!

Compliments to the new year and tight lines!! :-)

I have previously fished for grunter in the swartvlei lagoon area of Sedgefield whilst on holiday with family, I must admit that grunter is great fun on light tackle and very addictive!! :-)

I am inspired and left wanting after reading all the information you have shared here Miles!! It makes me want to a plan a trip to the Breede ASAP!!

One question.. how do I get my wife to do what your wife does?
Darraaz

Postby clinton » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:10 am

That's the million dollar question! My wifey doesn't fish but loves being on or by the water! Two sea addicted young boys kinda forces wifey to get to the water! Good luck with that! Sure she will come around!
clinton

Boat: Navarone: Name is STOIC. 4.5m Wildcat Project duck fixing for winter 2017!
Best catch: Nothing Really! Brand new to boat angling!

Postby Douw » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:30 pm

Dont teach her to fish unless you are OK with her catching and you changing bait... :D
Douw

Boat: Gemini Waverider 550
2x40 Yam

Postby Miles » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:45 am

If you wish to introduce your better half to fishing, you have to approach it the same way you do with junior anglers.......

Sitting for hours waiting for a bite is NOT very exciting. For anyone entering the fishing world, their aim is simple, to CATCH a fish. ANY fish! It doesn't matter whether it's a stumpnose, mooney or blacktail, as long as they have continuous bites and catch something, they will get hooked......

Take them to a spot where there is plenty of small fish. Use a light rod with yozuri's on it. I usually cut the yozuri's in half, so that you only have 3 hooks on the trace. Easier to manage, that way. Bait with a small sliver of squid and you're set for non stop action. (try to not use pilchard or any other smelly, baits, as this tends to not go down well with most better halfs!! :lol: :lol: )

Fish for short periods of time. Spending the entire day on the water is tiring and it's easy to lose interest when one gets tired.

Pretty soon you'll have to buy Stella's and Trinidad's for birthdays and Anniversery's!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Miles
Site Admin

Boat: 33' Buttcat - "DR.FISH"
18' Buttcat - "LITTLE MONSTER"
25' Cape Craft

Previous

Return to Breede River