Newb looking for first Boat

ThistyFirsty
Boat: First time buyer

Newb looking for first Boat

Post by ThistyFirsty » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:30 am

Hi Everyone ,

I have been reading the forum pages for a few days and now i'm here.
So here's the thing , I am interested in buying a boat , i think my choice will be a cat 16-19ft. Ace , Invader , Sea Cat or Yeld.

Is that a good choice for a beginner ?
That said i have been searching gum tree and other selling platforms ,and it seems the same boats on sale there for months , is that normal?

Any advice on where to start searching , or are there guys selling on this platform?

Thanks in advance.

Pugwash
Boat: Bandit 380 DF20
Ark Minnow DF5
Best catch: 1m+ Geets

Re: Newb looking for first Boat

Post by Pugwash » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:53 pm

Howzit bud... Welcome to BF.

There's no right, and not many outright wrongs when it comes to "best boat" questions. Boating is kind of an evolution for the boater. Your preferences evolve with time and experiences. One shouldn't overthink buying your first boat, because it will likely not be the boat you spend the rest of your life with. Research the market well from the perspective of buying into good value so that you don't get burned when time comes to move on.

As for those boats that are still advertised year after year in the classifieds... Yeah, I see them too... Real lemons. But keep your eyes peeled on the classifieds, because the good ones don't hang around for long. And don't put down money without actually viewing (or have a mate view for you) the boat. Good luck.

ThistyFirsty

Post by ThistyFirsty » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:53 am

Thanks Pugwash,

With a budget of around 12O K , what options am i potentially facing in terms of the Cat family.

If there are guys looking to part with boat for the sum i have, please hit me up with pics and specs.

I reside on the west coast , Darling but willing to road trip almost anywhere in SA to view and test.

Thanks in advance.

Pugwash
Ark Minnow DF5

Post by Pugwash » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:37 pm

There are guys on the forum here who can make recommendations... I haven't looked at cats for years now... Had a little Tomcat in about 2012 but decided I'm a mono man shortly after that. From what I remember, Supercat, Seacat, Butt, Yeld, Tomcat... All seem good. It will boil down to condition and motors in the end... With motors often representing up to 60-70% of the value.

Fishingmike
Boat: Scorpion cat with 2x40 wx yamaha motors
Best catch: still swimming

Post by Fishingmike » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:28 pm

With a budget of R120k you are going to battle to find a good decent size cat.
After having a few boats I have come to the conclusion that,
small boat 15.6 mono with 2x 40 HP motors or big boat 17 foot cat with at least 2x70 hp.
You should be able to find a good 15.6 mono for your bidget
my 2 cents
Good luck... be carefull there is a lot of rubbish on the market..be careful of old boats

ThistyFirsty

Post by ThistyFirsty » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:50 pm

Hi Fishingmike,

Thanks, your input is very appreciated.
My search criteria is solely based on what a few friends have advised mostly that cat handle better than mono's , that said i'm open to advice from seasoned pros.
I grew up around the seaside but never ventured in the boating arena, rod an reel was my go to. Not sure if this is a midlife crisis but the sea is beckoning..lol and it's whispering "get a boat"
Will a few rands more budget wise land me something decent?
I'm not fancying getting into debt for this endeavour, but if it means the choice between a lemon and something that will give ,me hours of enjoyment, then my arm could be twisted.
That said if you know of anyone selling something you'd put your stamp of approval on , please let me know.
Not sure how many users read this , but i guess that you're pretty well connected.

Thanks in advance.

ThistyFirsty

Post by ThistyFirsty » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:51 am

Hi Gents ,

Saw a decent looking boat on gumtree today ,namely Gamefish 430/Alleycat for sale in Langebaan.
Does anyone have any thoughts about this rig?
Engines have low hours and the boat looks pretty neat.

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-boats-jet-s ... 0033685809

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Pugwash
Ark Minnow DF5

Post by Pugwash » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:12 am

They are lekker little boats. Mine was built by Tomcat (after Alleycat and Gamefish) and it performed well... But I had the center console and had 2 x 40hp Enduros. I was able to plane on one motor. It was a light and easy launch (I slip launched in dams but surf launched in Moz.)

Return to “Announcements”