Yellowtail news 2018

Re: Yellowtail news 2018

Postby jpet » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:22 am

Hey Tuna Fish - awesome - I’m so happy that you got some fish - let’s see what the rest of the week presents to us

Tuna Fish wrote:Thanks Jpet ,

We fished Sunday and had fish between the point and bellows with loads of half beaks being harassed by 10000000s of birds a couple of smalls shoals of tail tail and katonkel stuffing it all up for us. The fish we cleaned were full of half beaks barring one tail that had filled up completely on mantis shrimps.

Water was 17 at Rocky , 17.5 at the point , there was a lot of red tide further into the bay.
jpet

Boat: BUTTCAT 750 XL Gamefisher walk around cabin, powered by twin 115 HP Suzuki 4 stroke motors

Boat Name - URISHA , (BUTTCAT GAMEFISHER WALK AROUND - Built by NAUTI-TECH) at FBYC
Best catch: 91 kg Yellowfin Tuna

Postby Sergey » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:16 pm

Nice one Jerome, way to do it.

Even if you do not find the tail, still a better day boating than gardening:)
Sergey

Boat: Ark Otter 10hp 4 stroke:)
Best catch: 49kg YF

Postby jpet » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:01 pm

Today was a late start at 16:20pm

I took Aaron my gardener out for a ride with me as I said to him we will go catch him some fish for Easter and since I have enough fish already it would be nice for Aaron and his family to enjoy some yellowtail too that he caught himself .

Oh before I forget - I also ended up late as I had to buy Aaron a fishing permit . Aaron was amazed that he too needed a licence to fish. So after trying to educate him about the importance of have a permit and adhereing to rules and regulations we were ready to go fish . I also had to explain to Aaron a bit about conservation etc.

I mean a late start to go fishing - not catching fish

After Myself and my gardener refueled the boat we were ready to leave

I left Simon’s Town at 16:20 this afternoon and ran to the point - buffels temp was 18 .6 degree

The point was almost 19 degrees

At smits I saw the birds working on a piece of fish - I was not well prepared but nevertheless had a cast
No follows but I saw the fish ( tail ) breaking surface .

I moved on the the point and the sea was big - I went out towards bellows a half a mile and decided to turn around and headed back to inside and trolled the area from Krantz to Venus pool

Despite a lot of bird activities I never hooked a fish

As always I want to tell the truth as I simply gain nothing by saying anything other but the TRUTH - I caught nothing - nada , Niks vis vir my nie.

I guess if I was a bit earlier it could have been different

Nothing or no birds outside but at buffels lot of bird life

I explained to Aaron that the birds communicate with me - he asked me if I can speak bird language
I told Aaron , my gardener that unfortunately I can’t speak “bird language “ - however I was very fortunate to understand a little bit of the birds language when they communicate with me where the fish are etc . Aaron now know a bit of “ bird language”

Hopefully tommorow Aaron will have a chance to test his bird language interpreting skills .

So no fish for URISHA today - however I am grateful I could enjoy getting out again and will try to catch some fish for Aaron’s family and also my extended family

Let’s see how Aaron my gardener does on the next few outings ...........

( watch this space )

Well that’s all news I have - ek het niks vandag gevang nie
jpet

Boat: BUTTCAT 750 XL Gamefisher walk around cabin, powered by twin 115 HP Suzuki 4 stroke motors

Boat Name - URISHA , (BUTTCAT GAMEFISHER WALK AROUND - Built by NAUTI-TECH) at FBYC

Postby Tuna Fish » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:03 am

Hi Jpet

A mate was out yesterday from the early Am to the late afternoon and blanked . They saw loads of birds and bait but nothing underneath them so at least you saw some fish.

Thanks for the up date ,
Tuna Fish

Boat: 17ft Flamingo " Rock N' Roll Her "
Best catch: My fish aholic wife

Postby Philip » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:15 am

Jerome
As always I thoroughly enjoy your informative posts.
Thank you for, almost single handedly, keeping this forum alive.
Best regards and hopefully I can meet you one day.
Philip

Boat: Butt Cat (Kamassi) 520
Best catch: Not worth mentioning.

Postby Wiele » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:18 pm

This side so much bait , in the water on this side makrell , like you haven’t seen before , yellowtail most probably duk gevriet .

Also plenty of bird action very close to shore some times.

20 knot plus westerlies this side .
Wiele

Boat: Pasanger on Dragon
Best catch: Working on it .

Postby GeeTay » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:01 pm

Yes, thank you Jerome for the well written and informative posts. You are a legend!

19 degrees at the point and no fish??? How was the water color?
Fishing is much more than fish. It is so that we may return to the simplicity of our forefathers.
GeeTay

Boat: Seacat 565 Twin Yammie 80hp Four Strokes
Best catch: 65KG Yellowfin, 28kg Couta

Postby jpet » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:50 pm

Hi all my aim with my post is merely to provide a little bit of info that will help some fishermen and at least provide a starting point for those wanting to go out .

If I have info I’ll share it - I’m just a normal want to be fishermen who at times get Lady Luck on my side - really it’s just putting in the time and failing at times that helps one develope

A legend I certainly am not - but a want to be fishermen I am -

I have learnt and have been given lots of help by a True Legend - Miles , who unselfishly taught me a lot and I am sure helped us all on the forum and Miles is the one that help contribute to my success.( Thank you again Miles !)

GeeTay wrote:Yes, thank you Jerome for the well written and informative posts. You are a legend!

19 degrees at the point and no fish??? How was the water color?
jpet

Postby jpet » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:27 pm

I went fishing today , got home at 17:30 and was at school meeting till 21:30
So only time now for a short report

As always I share my success and also my days with no success - Anyway my day was a blank day of note :D :D

50 NM covered

My route today was as follows:
Simons town to Cape Point to Rocky bank to 1ammo dump, then back to point and then to Fish Hoek and back to Simons town

At the point the water was 15.5 - 16 deg

At Rocky bank it was dead apart from a few birds that was also “ looking” ( 17.1 degrees )

My intention was to run to 2nd ammo dump but the closer I got to the 2nd ammo dump the colder the temp went

This made me decide to change plan and go back to the point

On my return to the point the temp dropped to 12 .9 at the Point

There was a slight north blowing and usually on the first north the tail start moving out past the Krantz - this made me venture in that direction hoping to get a tail along the kelp beds and mountain side .
The best part of my day was when I past Rooikrantz and saw the guys swinging tail out onto the rocks - this made my heart glad as I too come from the Rooikrantz training school - respect to the manne there today .

I then figured that the fish may be trapped inside the bay . I aimed to go look at Fish Hoek or a spot closer to Strandfontein where I previously had successful hauls of tail . I opted for Fish Hoek

At Fish Hoek temp was back at 17 deg , but alas - Not tail in sight

I ended the days fishing without a fish but with the satisfaction that I had covered all my options - I trolled , pulled bungees and at times just spinned over a vast area of water

Tightlines my fellow fishermen !!!!!!
jpet

Postby Sergey » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:04 pm

Hi guys, any news on our Yellow Tailed friends?
Sergey

Boat: Ark Otter 10hp 4 stroke:)
Best catch: 49kg YF

PreviousNext

Return to Yellowtail Fishing