December Report

December Report

Postby Will28 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:10 pm

Spent the holidays in the Garden Route, mainly fishing the stilbaai, gouritz and kleinbrak areas. Fishing conditions weren't the best with extremely warm and clear water most of the time, which made for great snorkelling at times. Saw a large school of big leeries while diving which was probably my highlight of the holiday. My fishing consisted mainly of fishing off my aluminium boat in the rivers and one or two rock/surf trips. Caught quite a number of juvenile kob and leeries in the estuaries on live bait as well as artificials. Had one night on kleinbrak with countless takes on the livies but only managed to hook-up with three, so really don't know what we were doing wrong, tried using circles, j-hooks, through the back, through the lip.., advice? Also managed a few grunter on the breede, got my first on topwater which was pretty rewarding as it was also the first time for me targeting them on lures, caught most on mudprawn. Catch of the holiday for me though was a decent leerie I got while fishing off the rocks, smashed my plug about 5m from my feet, nothing really beats that feeling in my opinion. At the end of the day nothing massive but at least we didn't blank completely, will be heading back in Feb and March to hopefully land some bigger fish.

Here is a video of some of the fish we caught. All fish released. Let me know what you think.

Will28

Boat: Quintrex
Best catch: 50lb Sturgeon

Re: December Report

Postby Miles » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:54 pm

Nice video!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Had one night on kleinbrak with countless takes on the livies but only managed to hook-up with three, so really don't know what we were doing wrong, tried using circles, j-hooks, through the back, through the lip.., advice?

What type of livebait were you using? Mullets, stumps, varkies? What size was the live bait? How was your reels drag set, light drag or heavy drag? What size fish were you catching?

These are a couple of questions that need answers before trying to ascertain why your strike rate was so low...........

When using larger class live baits, the smaller leeries and cobbies tend to grab the bait, but can't swallow the bait. This plays havoc with your hook-up rate. When i fish for cob, i fish was a relatively heavy drag when the rod is in the rod holder, waiting for a bite. Often, the leeries will destroy my live baits, but because i fish with a heavy drag, they simply either rip the mullet off or get spooked and just mangle the bait and leave it. On the other hand, when i fish for leeries, i fish with almost no drag whilst waiting for a bite.
Miles
Site Admin

Boat: 18' Buttcat - "LITTLE MONSTER"
25' Cape Craft - "BLACK MAGIC"

Re: December Report

Postby Will28 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:19 pm

Howzit Miles

We were fishing with live mullets, medium size I'd say and mainly targeting kob. Our drag was set quite loose and had it rigged with a sliding sinker trace. The kob that we managed to land weren't very big, 60-70cm but did lose what felt like a few bigger fish. Do you freespool after getting the bite or strike immediately? And where do you hook the livie for kob?
Will28

Boat: Quintrex
Best catch: 50lb Sturgeon

Return to Western Cape Adventures