Pomene Lodge

BigLes
Boat: Hopefully soon...
Best catch: 15kg Mussel Cracker, 13kg Geelbek, 18kg GT

Pomene Lodge

Post by BigLes » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:36 pm

HI Everyone

Yes yes its BIG LES bothering you all again for your wealth of knowledge.

So bonus has been paid, lmao, and want to book a trip for the wifey and I! We want to go in the JUNE/JULY private school holiday time.

As you all know, I have a smallish boat that I want to take with for a few fishing trips but at the same time the venue needs to have a few niceties for the wife.

I was looking at pomene lodge, as it seems to have great accom, nice restaurant, a few activities and an easy launch.

BUT and this is a BIG BUT, I have googled the Lodge and searched through endless amounts of info, but for the life of me I cannot find info on the area after 2012! Now, 2 years might not seem like much but the reviews weren't so hot back then....

I believe that its been improved but I need some solid proof! Real personal experience!

And then, comes the interesting side of it.... THE FISHING!

Most of you know what equipment I am working with, so please be kind! lol
As I said lots of reports from back in the day but none of late.... Anyone able to help me out? Seems to be the most under covered area in Moz!

What should I plan for?
What should I expect?
Any one have way points?
Lures?
Jigs?
Colours?
Any advise?
Anything at all?

As I mentioned, I will be off my little boat, sooooo don't want to run 40miles or so... (lets hope miracles happen and I get to upgrade #lmfao)

P.S. I have looked at the other lodges in the area but they seem more family orientated and I am hoping to at very least to have one or two romantic moments with my wife!

Feel free to add any info you want!

Thanks in advance!

Prego
Boat: KING CAT 180
Best catch: My son

Re: Pomene Lodge

Post by Prego » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:09 am

I have been wanting to visit Pomene for many years. Eventually last December I got a chance to visit albeit just for a day just to finally get to see what my late father use to tell me about 'Rio das Pedras" Pomene.

Well all I can say where the old abandoned Hotel is, is simply breath taking, with a beautiful beach to the left of it just of the ledges and the incredible tidal pool and ledges to its right.

The fishing is good to in the area with some gob smacking jigging to be had because of the huge structures all round north or south.

BUT the disappointing stuff for me
That 60kms from EN1 turn off to the lodges is hellish when towing a boat.
All the lodges are situated on the lagoon which at low tide is not a pretty sight and the smell not great.
To get to the beach in front of the lodge you have to walk 100-200m with all your gear.
If you want to go to the nice beach next to the old hotel you need to go early by car to get a parking close by and in shade
Attachments
Moz Dec 2013 119.jpg
Tidal pool at low tide
Moz Dec 2013 119.jpg (34.58 KiB) Viewed 2340 times
DON'S 909.jpg
Beach and sea view from Old Hotel
DON'S 909.jpg (46.69 KiB) Viewed 2340 times
DON'S 902.jpg
Tidal pool at high tide
DON'S 902.jpg (33.33 KiB) Viewed 2340 times
DON'S 897.jpg
DON'S 897.jpg (51.04 KiB) Viewed 2340 times

BigLes

Post by BigLes » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:57 am

Thanks Prego

Im quite keen on the fishing in the area, but wonder if it will be as nice for the wife to enjoy the rest...
It does look beautiful from your pictures...

You seem to know Moz really well, anywhere else you could recommend?

Prego

Post by Prego » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:42 pm

BigLes the area around the old hotel like I mentioned is absolutely stunning, so much so that if I ever had to win the Euro millions that is where I would invest some money to rebuild the old hotel BUT all the resorts are not close enough to walk to you need to drive.

Would I go to the existing resorts in the area with my family on holiday NO, would I go there with the manne on a fishing trip HELL YES.

One of my favourite places to go to with my family is BD and it has 2 fantastic lodges BD Lodge and Lula's Paradise. Yes its a further drive but it will probably take you the same amount of time to drive as you would take on that sand road to Pomene.

At BD Lodge your wife can have a swim well sipping marghiritas and watching for your return. If the weather is not great to go to sea you can still have fun in the lagoon catching all sorts, we have been spooled on the lagoon :o

As for the fishing there is no structure but the in shore fishing is phenomenal. Only down side you will not catch any billfish here unless you travel 40kms out to sea on a good day to get to the drop off beyond 25mile reef. A trip reserved for only very good weather days.

Inhambane is also a good options places like Guinjata and Paindane. 40okms closer, some good fishing to be had and some really nice lodges.
Attachments
DSC02505.jpg
Queenie action
DSC02505.jpg (37.98 KiB) Viewed 2317 times
DSCN0067.jpg
Some fish pics
DSCN0067.jpg (60.37 KiB) Viewed 2317 times
DSC02542.jpg
View from your chalet
DSC02542.jpg (31.35 KiB) Viewed 2317 times
DSC02422.jpg
Chilling lagoon side
DSC02422.jpg (45.26 KiB) Viewed 2317 times
DSC02142.jpg
Cocktails with ocean and lagoon mouth view
DSC02142.jpg (49.13 KiB) Viewed 2317 times

Prego

Post by Prego » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:48 pm

Actually I forgot about a lodge in Pomene on the north bank which looks great situated right on the beach, Paradise beach lodge you must take the north bank road but they don't have a pool on site.

BigLes

Post by BigLes » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:58 pm

Thanks again Prego!

May I ask why you don't like pomene beach lodge ???

I looked at paradise because of the good reviews but it's more family oriented and very rustic while pomene beach lodge looks nice and fancy!

That's why I want a recent review to see if the website is a true representation

Prego

Post by Prego » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:11 pm

Where is Pomene beach Lodge situated do you have their web address?

All lodges in Pomene are situated on the estuary only one on the beach is Paradise beach lodge.

L Hooker
Boat: Tomcat 19ft 2x 115hp Suzuki 4 strokes, TTop, Raymarine autopilot Evo100, Garmin 721xs with TM150
Best catch: No particular fish!

Post by L Hooker » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:43 pm

As Prego sais I've also heard the rd to Pomene towing is not good 2hrs odd just on that strip!! Haven't been to Pomene in many years so cant comment on the lodges however if you looking for safe easy launch have a look at going a bit further North Vilanculos or Inhassorro, plenty options there and will not be much dfference time wise considering the long Tar Rd to Pomene track?

BigLes

Post by BigLes » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:10 pm

Hi LHooker

Thanks for your opinion, I have been to Vilanculous and a bit higher on several occasions, and I am personally looking for something new and different.

Firstly fishing from Vilankulous you have to deal with that long ride across the bay which can be hellish if there is short chop.

Im quite keen on pomene as you have a sheltered place to park your boat, the accom looks nice, the area is pristine and beautiful, far from the "touristy" areas, and I have recently found some very good reviews on the lodge itself from the last few months!

I must admit, I have been looking into all the info I have received and weighing up the options to present to the Wifey with my findings, as at the end of the day she is still the big boss! lol and I want it to be special for her, as this will be the first time she is leaving the country (and I had to do some negotiating as she wanted to go to paris while I wanted to go fishing).

L Hooker
Boat: Tomcat 19ft 2x 115hp Suzuki 4 strokes, TTop, Raymarine autopilot Evo100, Garmin 721xs with TM150
Best catch: No particular fish!

Post by L Hooker » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:30 am

BigLes wrote:Hi LHooker

Thanks for your opinion, I have been to Vilanculous and a bit higher on several occasions, and I am personally looking for something new and different.

Firstly fishing from Vilankulous you have to deal with that long ride across the bay which can be hellish if there is short chop.

Im quite keen on pomene as you have a sheltered place to park your boat, the accom looks nice, the area is pristine and beautiful, far from the "touristy" areas, and I have recently found some very good reviews on the lodge itself from the last few months!

I must admit, I have been looking into all the info I have received and weighing up the options to present to the Wifey with my findings, as at the end of the day she is still the big boss! lol and I want it to be special for her, as this will be the first time she is leaving the country (and I had to do some negotiating as she wanted to go to paris while I wanted to go fishing).
LOL every time I go I have to ensure the place will suit the wife and kids so understand 100%. There are a few other fishing Forums you could possibly get some additional info from so perhaps go check them out? I know Wesley Peens from ASFN did a show at Paradise beach Lodge (Pomene) about a 1 1/2 yrs ago he did post and article on another forum and there might even be that episode somewhere on the net you could possibly download? I'll pm you a link shortly.

Return to “Everywhere Else Adventures”