First Time Boat Buyer Question

Re: First Time Boat Buyer Question

Postby Bollie » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:52 am

I owned plenty of boats before and would also recommend nothing smaller than 16ft, budget is the most important factor, 16ft ski Craft, awesome boat, ticks all the boxes, Butt Cat 21ft would be my number recommendation but also 18ft if you can get your hands on one. I recently bought a 520 Super cat with 2 x50fours on the back, read all about it and took all advice into consideration. Well this is a awesome ride, very light on fuel and took me totally by surprize. As I buy and sell as a hobby this boat is currently in the market.(check the classified section on the forum) Good luck with your search.
Bollie

Boat: Supercat 520, 2x 50 Suzuki 4s
Best catch: 32kg Silver Cob

Postby Whitewash » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:44 am

Bollie wrote:I owned plenty of boats before and would also recommend nothing smaller than 16ft, budget is the most important factor, 16ft ski Craft, awesome boat, ticks all the boxes, Butt Cat 21ft would be my number recommendation but also 18ft if you can get your hands on one. I recently bought a 520 Super cat with 2 x50fours on the back, read all about it and took all advice into consideration. Well this is a awesome ride, very light on fuel and took me totally by surprize. As I buy and sell as a hobby this boat is currently in the market.(check the classified section on the forum) Good luck with your search.

This is the one to be had ... The original ... The legend. She looks to be in very fine shape too.

viewtopic.php?f=67&t=6831
Whitewash

Best catch: Still to come

Postby Pompstasie » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:33 pm

Could anyone offer any advice with comparing a Seacat to a Supercat?
Pompstasie

Boat: Seacat 510 CC "Pompstasie"
Best catch: 6,8kg Yellowtail

Postby Bollie » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:35 am

Ben, I had both, the Sea Cat and currently the Supercat. Both are awesome boats and more than good enough for our waters, my preference would be with four stroke's as both gives a awesome ride. If I had to decide I would rather buy Supercat. The Supercat I only had a couple of times on the water and every time I am just more and more surprised. Suppercat hull wait @ 450kg must count in this boat advantage, powered by 2 x 50s, more than enough power. I also owned a 21ft butt cat before, the Supercat 520 offers the same ride. Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with the Sea Cat.
Bollie

Boat: Supercat 520, 2x 50 Suzuki 4s
Best catch: 32kg Silver Cob

Postby Pompstasie » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:40 am

Thank you everyone for your input and advice,
I'd like to ask a few more questions, regarding the process of change of ownership.

Could someone advise step by step what I would need to do when buying a boat.
~I've been told there must only be a deed of sale - is there no form of registering ownership or license?
~If so, at what stage is this done?
~Do I need to do a new CoF after purchasing the boat, or do I carry on using the one provided by the previous owner?
~If the trailer needs to have a roadworthy inspection done, can the boat stay on the trailer for the inspection?
~Regarding the licensing for the VHF radio, does one buy a vhf radio first, then go through the process with ICASA? (If there is no radio on the boat with the sale)
How long does this take?

Any other info is greatly appreciated.
Pompstasie

Postby hma » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:51 pm

Hi

You need a deed of sale and SAMSA has a new requirement that they have a form that the original onwer as well as the new owner must sign.

With change of ownership you have to do a COF. When you doing the COF you need to present this form with the previous owners COF and all other relevant documents that is required for COF.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
hma

Boat: 5.5m Superduck with 2x40hp Suzukis.
Best catch: 8kg yellowtail

Postby Pugwash » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:15 am

I looked thru the SAMSA website (home page has been hacked and you can win a free Samsung something or other :lol: ) and went thru all their document downloads and I have to say, there are numerous that you could fill in for a sale, the most appropriate being the "Bill of Sale" (https://www.samsa.org.za/sites/samsa.or ... Sale_0.pdf) but I get the feeling they are very much aimed at large and/or commercial vessels. Is there any form that anyone knows about directed at small leisure craft?
Pugwash

Boat: Bandit 380 DF20
Ark Minnow DF5
Best catch: 1m+ Geets

Postby Pompstasie » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:51 am

Could anyone provide me with a list of everything the seller of a boat (privately) should hand over with the sale of a complete boat
(for the sake of this post assume it has everything on it and ready to go on the water).
Pompstasie

Postby Adrian » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:07 pm

trailer papers to complete transfer in your name
copy of previous owners id along with his signature on the specific form to enable you to do this
maybe proof of purchase or ownership; you might be buying a stolen boat
a note that state the sale agreement, can be handwritten on any piece of paper
motor serial numbers must be checked (maybe you are buying a vessel with stolen motors; I said this already but just in case you forgot)

first thing to do after the acquisition is to replace trailer wheel bearings
ask the previous owner to deliver vessel at your specified or preferred place; he carry the risk should a bearing collapse in transit
not an ideal situation when wheel fall out a few kilometres after the sale; unlike a car you buy the vessel "voetstoots" unless otherwise specified
get insurance sorted before you tow the boat away; just in case you towing it yourself
Adrian

Boat: Explorer 510cc with 2x50HP Yamahas
Best catch: Cob, not weighed

Previous

Return to Boat Reviews and Discussions