Transom Replacement in Pretoria

fishfire

Re: Transom Replacement in Pretoria

Post by fishfire » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:42 pm

Hi there,

Yes i did get the corlite, i got the 12.5mm. They have 16mm? I asked them for thicker. I must have spoken with a moron.

I havnt had the time yet but will get to it soon !

The stuff almost looks like smooth wood thats been painted white. I hope the resin sticks to it.

fishfire

Post by fishfire » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:43 pm

Ill take a pic of it tomorrow

Marlyn
Boat: 14.6 Invader
Best catch: Still looking

Post by Marlyn » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:51 am

This was the reply I got on my query to Aerontec:

Thank you for your inquiry.

The standard sheet size is 1.22m × 2.44m, the difference is the thickness our Gauteng branch has stock of 2 sizes:

CL004 - 12.5mm - R3223.89

CL006 - 16mm - R4484.33

Please note: prices above exclude VAT

If you require a different size please let me know and I can let you know on lead time and availability.

Kind regards

Jethro

Marlyn

Post by Marlyn » Tue May 11, 2021 2:04 pm

Whatsup Guys,

I started stripping out my boats transom , and I'm glad I decided to go ahead.
Found that the entire thing is soaking wet and falling apart in places.

Also found that the rest of my boat does not have any wood (Stringers are glassed in foam, and the floor is also some type of composite board) - at least no ply....so there is some good news.

Does anyone know of another supplier of CoreLite sheets, or is it only available from Aerontec?

Pugwash
Boat: Bandit 380 DF20
Ark Minnow DF5
Best catch: 1m+ Geets

Post by Pugwash » Tue May 11, 2021 10:36 pm

As far as I can make out, they are the only importers. I'm going to see them on Friday (Gauteng branch) to have a look at the product. There's actually relatively little information about corelite on the web, so I'd like to get some hands on info and if possible a small sample that I can mess with.

I had a client who enquired about corelite but when I gave him pricing he shied away and carried on with the ply I'd been supplying him. I was hoping he'd opt for corelite so I could check it out with his project.

Marlyn

Post by Marlyn » Wed May 12, 2021 9:00 am

Thanks Pugwash,

I see on various Aussie channels that another type of board quite popular there is called Thermo-Lite (can't find a supplier locally) Look allot like Coosa.

It seems that Thermo-lite is about equal in price as what Aerontec is seling Core-lite locally, and Core-Lite is about a third of the price in AUS to what we are being charged...Shipping costs probably would kill that advantage.

More info here:
https://fibrefinish.com.au/collections/ ... hermo-lite

I've requested a new quote from Aerontec on Monday - still waiting...TIA

Marlyn

Re: Transom Replacement

Post by Marlyn » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:23 am

So the past 6 odd weeks the following happened ...

Transom inspection and removal.... die ding was pap vrot....
WhatsApp Image 2021-05-08 at 09.29.07 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-05-08 at 16.17.44.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-05-08 at 16.20.09.jpeg
I ended up ordering Coosa 19mm, the thickness allowed me to get 2 full transom cores out (the plywood was also only 2 sheets thick, and the plywood was not double all the way to the hull, only the top half was double, the bottom was a single sheet, now it is double all the way, and I also glassed in additional sections where the motors and push plate mounts.)

If I wanted to use CoreLite I was going to need 2 sheets and the cost of the 2 plus delivery charges made the coosa the better budget option.
NCS Resins delivered the sheet for free (Aerontec wanted R750 to deliver one sheet)
Coosa.jpeg
Template was made using an old box, and I used mark up the coosa and also the chopped strand, woven roving and bi-axical fiber sheets/mats
The mats and other consumables I ordered from AMT composites.
(NCS resins had a lead time of 7 business days for acetone - go figure)
Stencil 1.jpeg
Glassed in the Coosa alternating chopped strand and bi-acial with lots of resin and Cab-o-sil for smoothing the edges for filleting etc... I used scraps of wood and wedges to add pressure below the deck (where the clamps could not reach)
Clamped.jpeg
Glassed in.jpeg
SPX33 sheets where cut up and added to the void for boyancy ( previous bottles removed)
SPX 33.jpeg
Finally the splashwell cover was also cut fom the coosa board and glassed in.
splashwell cover.jpeg
I still need to lay up the final few layers of chopped strand and woven roving and then gelcoat and do final finish....

With some of the off-cuts I built this cupholder.
cupholder.jpeg

Pugwash
Boat: Bandit 380 DF20
Ark Minnow DF5
Best catch: 1m+ Geets

Post by Pugwash » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:10 pm

Job well done... Awesome. Thanks for the feedback. NCS is always a bit of a hit and miss... AMT is just bloody pricey.

Return to “Boat Reviews and Discussions”