mounting an AIS unit

vn900c
Boat: Cobra Cat 640
Best catch: the one I'll catch tomorrow

mounting an AIS unit

Post by vn900c » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:38 pm

is it "kosher" to mount the AIS unit to a PVC pipe thats fitted into the overhead rod holders on my t-top?
The pipes long enough so that the bottom of the unit is more than 8 inches above the rails
Every day I beat my own record for the number of consecutive days I've stayed alive :-)

Miles
Site Admin
Boat: 18' Buttcat - "LITTLE MONSTER"
25' Cape Craft - "BLACK MAGIC"

Re: mounting an AIS unit

Post by Miles » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:50 pm

Please post some photos........i can't quite figure out what you're trying to do.......

vn900c

Post by vn900c » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:21 am

IMG-20190227-WA0011.gif
Hi Miles apologies for delay to reply but....... life happens :oops:

Here are two pics, one of the AIS unit and the second of the pvc pole in the rodholder of the t-top. note, the t-top is folded down in this pic
Attachments
IMG-20190222-WA0000.jpg
Every day I beat my own record for the number of consecutive days I've stayed alive :-)

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:43 pm

That will work.

However, that is not a normal ais system we use on our boats. When your one is activated, it sends out a ditress signal. So, it's SOLE purpose is to be used in an emergency! It will allow other boats equiped with AIS READING systems to 'see' you. You however will not be able to 'see' anyone on your gps.........

vn900c

Post by vn900c » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:34 am

Miles this is the l100 which has the vessel identifier and (hold button for 3 seconds) distress function as opposed to the B100 which is distress only. they do however look alike :) (
Was just wondering if its too close to the metal to transmit a clear signal

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:53 am

That is the units that SAMSA has issued the smaller class vessels. The idea behind these is that many of the smaller commercial vessels operate with minimal safety kit. Think of the West Coast snoek or kreef bakkies. They have a pull start engine, so there is no need for a battery. They have no fishfinders, no GPS and no radio. That is why these units are made so that you can charge them and they will run for up to 5 days on a charge.

Mounting instructions:
- to be mounted outside, as high up as possible
- always away from any metal (especially the top half of the unit)
- do not mount near any antennaes
- it must point upwards

According to SAMSA, we MUST have a DSC radio on our boats. Pressing the red DSC button on your VHF will do the same thing, it will send out a distress signal and your location. The l300 will do the same, BUT, will also be visible on the plotters of bigger vessels that HAVE AIS receivers.

VERY good idea as a backup distress item, however, it can NOT be used as a navigational tool, like a proper AIS unit. If you wish to look for trawlers in the deep or longliners or other tuna pole vessels, then a AIS receiver is required, something like this: viewtopic.php?f=65&t=4139

vn900c

Post by vn900c » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:04 pm

Thanks for mounting instructions Miles, I will have to move it from where I planned to mount it too close to antennae :o

Return to “Electronics Reviews and Discussions”