SI-TEX SVS650 Review

Deon Seaport
Boat: SEAPORT
Best catch: 70kg Yellowfin tuna, 27kg GT,15 KG Dog Tooth tuna

Re: SI-TEX SVS650 Review

Post by Deon Seaport » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:39 pm

I can help with the setting, but I need tho know which model Garmin you have.
I live with fear, but she lets me fish once a week !

Geelslang
Boat: I have a 14 FT Cape Craft(comm. layout) with two 30 HP Yamahas. Boat is called Lambano.
Best catch: 19 KG Cob

Post by Geelslang » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:41 pm

Naand Deon en Miles...of moet ek eerder sê leermeesters!

Dankie vir al julle raad en moeite.
Ek is ook maar 'n weekender, so kry nie so baie kans om op ecco te speel en te leer nie.
Ek wil by Seapert uitkom, maar werk in Franshoek en kry net nie kans nie.

Ek het 'n Garmin Fishfinder 90/140. Ek het dit ook van die Fish simbool afgehaal na net die boog toe, soos Bingo sê hy het sy Gain na 70% toe gestel, wat is die beste om my Ecco op te stel, sal enige raad baie waardeer.

Baie dankie.

Miles
Site Admin
Boat: 18' Buttcat - "LITTLE MONSTER"
25' Cape Craft - "BLACK MAGIC"

Post by Miles » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:53 pm

Thanks Miles, youve been very helpful!

Last question.. should I not rather put up with my current GPs & buy the furuno or sitex unit. then, later on buy the GPS?

Not sure, very confused at present as to what to do!

Fishing during winter often has one running around in thick mist/fog. A chartplotter is BRILLIANT for these conditions. You already have a GPS, which can work just as effectively as a chart plotter, if you do a bit of homework.

Get a chart of your fishing area and mark some safe ROUTES for you to follow. This will allow your GPS to navigate you safely back to port, with-out running into dangerous area's.

For example, you're fishing outside Cape Point, sort of SW Reefs area and the fog roll's in. If you've only marked Millers Point on your GPS and now program your unit to take you to Miller's Point, you will be guided straight into the mountain!! With some pre-planing, you should make a waypoint just outside Cape Point, WELL clear of any danger zones, one waypoint INSIDE cape point and then another outside Batsata rock and then one outside Partridge Point, one outside Bakovenrots and finally one just outside Millers Point Slip. This is then the route you follow, allowing you safe passage and keeping you well clear of dangers, like Blindevals.

Similarly, do a safe passage for HoutBay, Robben Island and Dassen Island and where-ever else you launch.

By doing this, your GPS will ensure a much safer passage.

On a chartplotter, none of this is needed.

If you are by the means, with-out a doubt get the Furuno FCV620!! Speak to Deon at Seaport for a good deal!! The Furuno is the benchmark to which other echo's are compared against. You simply cannot go wrong.

You MIGHT even be able to get away with a Furuno FCV620 AND a Garmin 400 series chartplotter with your allocated budget. I'd rather spend a little more and get the bigger screen 500 series Garmin chartplotter.

Hope that helps!!

Regards
miles

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:00 pm

Geelslang, here's the operators manual for the garmin90/140:
http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/1069_OwnersManual.pdf

Page17 tells you how to turn the fish symbols off.

Press MENU
Move the arrow keys and select SET-UP
Select GRAPHS
Select FISH ID
Select OFF

And you're done!! Fish symbols will now be switched off and arches should show.

Grote-Koning
Boat: Carry Cat 830
Fish Tales
Best catch: 103.8KG Yellowfin

Post by Grote-Koning » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:04 am

Thx again Miles

I have given it some consideration and here are my options:
Get the 720 and perhaps later the furunu or sitex unit added (i do like the touch screen, i reccon it would be much easier to use)
Get a 421 or 521s and add one of either the furunu or sitex later

I have a rubberduck that im going to sell so going to get rid of my fish finder and gps on that and decide on the right unit for my boat.

Do you know of any unit (within my budget) that can incorporate the outboard rev counters and trim?

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:12 am

The garmin 720 will show you your rev counters, however, this will not work on older motors. Your motors must offer nmea0183 or 2000 capabilities.

Check:

Grote-Koning
Fish Tales

Post by Grote-Koning » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:01 pm

Thanks. Yip, my motors are too old.

Please let me know if you happen to come across a 2nd hand 521s, 720s, Furuno 620 or Sitex unit.

Weereens, baie dankie vir al die hulp!

Grote-Koning
Fish Tales

Post by Grote-Koning » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:00 pm

Miles, What do you know of the standard horizon range. Been seeing quite a bit of these in my quest to find the right set of chart plotter & fishfinder.

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:51 pm

I have zero real life experience with standard horizon equipment. Most anglers stick to the major manufacturers when buying electronics. I don't even know of anyone who owns a standard horizon product!!

This does not mean that it's neccessarily a bad product!! Back in the 1970's, Ford and Chevy were the main bakkie sellers in SA, and everyone scoffed at the Toyota Hilux when it was introduced. 20 years later and it was the top selling bakkie in SA. Not saying that every new brand will be that succesfull, some flop, like the DACIA bakkies.

Do a bit of research and base your decision on that.

I would however opt for one of the major brand names. Not only for back-up service, but more importantly, for reliability. It's rather pointless have SUPERB back-up service, if your plotters dies on you, whilst you're fishing behind Dassen Island, in the mist/fog!! From a purely safety aspect, i'd stick to the more well known brands........... (just my personal opinion!!)

Grote-Koning
Fish Tales

Post by Grote-Koning » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:48 pm

Makes sense!

Return to “Electronics Reviews and Discussions”