Blaauwber Slipway

Alex007
Boat: 3.3 metre (11 foot) Cape Craft Andy with 25hp Mercury, now sold and replaced with a mission catch 420 kayak.
Best catch: 7kg Steenbras

Blaauwber Slipway

Post by Alex007 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:54 am

I live in the Blaauwberg/Table View area and I often pass the slip on the beach in front of Ons Huisie restaurant. It is similar to the Melkbos slip in that it does not go right down into the water except at high spring tide.

There is a signboard there that says "No launching of Inflatable Boats or Jet Ski's". I can also see that getting out there would be difficult due to reefs and rocks in the vicinity and one would have to head off towards the Island that separates Big Bay and Small Bay and then turn to port just before it to get a clear run out.

There are also no trailer parking bays in the adjacent car park but there is another car park in the road behind the restaurant that is more spacious.

I have never seen anyone launching there and I am in the area often.

Does anyone know any more about this slip.

Lenny
Boat: 4.5m Wildcat RIB - 2x 30hp Suzukis
Best catch: 58kg Yellowfin, 68cm Grunter, Watch this space :D

Re: Blaauwber Slipway

Post by Lenny » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:56 am

I don't get what the difference is for the people concerned, between launching and inflatable and launching a solid hull boat :? ...really stupid rule :(
"How inappropriate to call this planet Earth when it is quite clearly Ocean." - Sir Arthur C. Clarke

Psy
Boat: Ski Vee 500 Sport
Best catch: Big eye Tuna/Marlin/Broadbill/Sailfish

Post by Psy » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:01 am

Alex
I was born in the small houses/cottages which border the 'spacious carpark' you mentioned. Then those cottages were all part of the Blue Peter hotel.
My parents had a house just past the Blue Peter toward the Blockhouse which I think may now be destroyed, after all the upgrading the place has endured?
The slip was then used by the crayfish bakkies that launched from Klein Baai, and they pulled their bakkies up onto the sand when not fishing, in the area were you have a childrens park. They also used to cut the kelp, assisting themselves as there are deep channels between the kelp and rocks to get out of Klein Baai, (mountain side of the island).
There were never any skiboats those years, and you could find crays in kneedeep water!!

@ Lenny ~ I dont think its a stupid rule to prevent jet-skis and rubba ducs from launching there, the beaches nowdays are more popular than ever before.

However there is a lekker slip at Ganzekraal, and the Kob and Bek are always close at hand.

;)

Philip
Boat: Carry Cat 670 CC
Best catch: Not worth mentioning.

Post by Philip » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:10 pm

Thanks for the info Psy, could you or anybody else give us more detailed information on the Ganzekraal slip ? Thanks

Psy

Post by Psy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:46 am

I have some pics, I will post later

Psy

Post by Psy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:24 pm

Ganzekraal Slip....sorry guys, :) the pics loaded incorrectly, they should be seen from the lowest to the uppermost.
Attachments
Slipway area looking North.jpg
now your course is NNW
slipway area.jpg
thats the route to the outside
Slipway.jpg
here you see the wall, drop off to the other side
Johns Bank.jpg
see the slip has quite a gentle slope, with a barrier wall on the drivers side

Ally G
Boat: 5m semi ridged with 2 x yamaha 30 trips
Best catch: fish

Post by Ally G » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:10 pm

Is Gaansekraal slip still in use

Kingfisher
Boat: 15ft Ski Craft c/c with 60HP Yamaha
Best catch: 12kg white mussel cracker, 12kg cobby

Post by Kingfisher » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:41 pm

As far as I know the slip at Ganzekraal is locked with a chain. No boats may be launched from there now, only kayak fisherman use it now. All to do with trying to curb the abalone poaching, which seems to be a futile exercise.
And again the poor recreational angler abiding by the Law get shafted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “Launch Sites Overview”