Arniston General fishing

Arniston General fishing

Postby tkei » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:46 pm

I am going to Arniston on Saturday until Tuesday with the family and some friends.

I have never been anywhere in that area. I have a fishing mad 6yr old and am a bit partial too some fishing myself.
What type of fishing is available there? Spots to try, and general tackle to take? I have some of everything, but wan to try to take the most useful tackle available.
I know its mainly a deepsea site, but hopefully someone here knows whats its like to fish off the shore there.
Unfortunately I dont have a boat here so no deepsea this time.
tkei

Boat: 21ft butt Cat 2x85 yamaha
Best catch: sailfish

Re: Arniston General fishing

Postby Miles » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:25 pm

The fishing from the shore is quite good there at the moment. My mates managed some decent white musselcracker and galjoen and some BUS steenbras there over the last few days.......

If you want to do some hardcore fishing, you will need a 4x4 to get to Galgoengat and further towards Struisbaai. Prawn and wonderworm makes excellent baits, as steenbras, galgoen and cracker will take it. Bloodworm is also an excellent bait.

If you want to take your son fishing, rather bring light tackle with. Prawn and fresh red bait would be your best baits.

First spot is off the arniston slip. Belman, wildeperd, blacktail, steenbras, galjoen and cracker will give you huge fun on the light tackle.

If you're keen to fish off the rocks with your son, go to the Baken (just past the cave/otter). There is plenty of gullies and fishing with light tackle, you'll have a blast catching reef species....

Otherwise, just fish off any of the rocky outcrops all along the shoreline. You WILL catch plenty of blacktail, which should keep the young angler entertained!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Miles
Site Admin

Boat: 18' Buttcat - "LITTLE MONSTER"
25' Cape Craft - "BLACK MAGIC"

Postby tkei » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:49 pm

Thanks Miles. I guess a whole bunch of tackle is now taking a drive with me. :D
tkei

Boat: 21ft butt Cat 2x85 yamaha
Best catch: sailfish

Postby clinton » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:11 am

I used to love having the laaities fish on light tackle at the kraale (on left of where the lighthouse used to be). On the dropping tide the blacktail gets stuck there and its usually easy to get a few. For the kids take plenty of sinkers with tho!
clinton

Boat: Navarone: Name is STOIC. 4.5m Wildcat Project duck fixing for winter 2017!
Best catch: Nothing Really! Brand new to boat angling!

Return to General Rock & Surf Discussions