Natures Valley

Natures Valley

Postby landshark » Sun May 12, 2013 9:25 pm

Went down to Natures Valley for a bit of a break with the family.

1st plan was to spearfish, unfortunately the sea didn't play along so I didn't get a gap to jump in.

2nd plan was to do some R&S angling. Again, due to the rough seas the fishing on the beach / rocks side wasn't great for most of our stay. Got a few bites and caught a couple of minnows but it was mostly a blank.

I took the little one for a spot of lagoon fishing which ended up being a lot of fun.
wassivis.jpg
wassivis.jpg (216.77 KiB) Viewed 5085 times

Targeting little scooters like this juvenile Steenbras was a blast and we were getting bites faster than I could tie on prawns.
steenie.jpg
steenie.jpg (352.13 KiB) Viewed 5085 times

As the saying goes... time files when you are having fun and the last full day at Natures dawned without me getting a decent fish. So I made up my mind to give it a good bash and hoped the sea conditions would play along.
Got up to a glorious morning and made the hike to the planned spot. Although there was some swell running it was not close to what it has been or what was predicted so things looked promising. :mrgreen:
waves.jpg
waves.jpg (200.07 KiB) Viewed 5085 times

First cast.... got a nice pull. Next cast and first little Cracker, just under-size, landed and again safely released. It then went quiet for about half an hour after which I got a decent pickup. The fish gave me all my days but unfortunately got reefed on the last set of rocks before the gulley where I could have landed it... damn... :evil:

As the tide turned things quietened down a bit. I was contemplating targeting a gully close by for a Gallie but a something grabbed my Cracker bait and after a decent tussle (for such a little fish) I pulled this 41 cm Red Roman... Stoked to get a Roman R&S fishing! :D :D :D
roman.jpg
roman.jpg (280.48 KiB) Viewed 5085 times

Next bait in, things however seemed to have died down completely. :( After about an hour the waves where starting to chase me to the highest point where I was fishing, so I popped my rod up, engaged the ratchet and busied myself with packing up. A couple of minutes later ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!! :D

Picked the rod up and immediately felt that it was a proper fish. After an admirable fight, giving me the run around and having me dodging waves while trying to keep the fish from reefing itself this 79cm Cracker was on dry land.
cracker.jpg
cracker.jpg (218.28 KiB) Viewed 5085 times

All and all a fantastic holiday keeping Natures Valley as one of my all time favourite destinations. :D :D :D
landshark
Site Admin

Re: Natures Valley

Postby Poenie » Wed May 15, 2013 12:05 pm

Nice fish LS! How's that for the PERFECT hookup right in the corner!
Poenie

Boat: Regular crew on "Fishtales"
Best catch: Anything on artificials!

Postby landshark » Wed May 15, 2013 12:19 pm

Poenie wrote:Nice fish LS! How's that for the PERFECT hookup right in the corner!

Thanks Poenie!

Yes, I must say I have always been a bit hesitant using circles for Cracker as I've had some smaller ones come back completely pretzeled. But it seems when using the bigger ones, they seem to last and the hookup rate is pretty good.
landshark
Site Admin

Postby will101 » Wed May 15, 2013 1:27 pm

Shiiiit!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
will101

Boat: 22ft Kei, 2X90 Yamaha
15ft bay/flats boat, 15hp
Best catch: Rod & reel: 50kg YF. Spear: 100kg wit hotnot

Postby Fat Cat 2 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:35 am

Nice report Landshark definately looks like some good fishing there.
Will have to plan a trip there some time.
Do you also get Cob there?
Fat Cat 2

Boat: 19 ft Invader Cat 2 x 90 Mariners
Best catch: 84 kg yellowfin

Postby landshark » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:45 pm

Most definitely! You can target cob in the lagoon and in the surf.

Cob of around 3-4kg in the lagoon and anything up to 15 kg off the main beach are regularly caught at Natures.
landshark
Site Admin

Postby Matteo » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:26 pm

Howsit

Ive heard there are some pinnacles and a hole somewhere between Natures and Keurbooms beach where its a definite to catch some Kob and other Reefies. The charters always go there and was wondering if anyone knows any of the coordinates of the spots along the coast there apparently about 600m offshore.
Matteo

Return to Rock & Surf Trip Reports