My KZN Trip from 21/07/2013 - 28/07/2013 REPORT

My KZN Trip from 21/07/2013 - 28/07/2013 REPORT

Postby Stapies » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:38 am

Okay so just a report back on my week holiday to KZN.

Firstly thank you for all the info from the people... So I landed at King Shaka airport and saw my brother again for the first time in ages. We went past to the tackle shops to stock up on sinkers, bait and a few bits and bobs for the week. I must say I was very disappointed with how little info the tackle shops were willing to share!!! And to top it up none of the tackle shops outside Durban had any bonnies to slide so I had to settle with using yellowtail for shark bait... :angry:

We got back to his place at Prince's Grant and we then unpacked and took a drive to have a look at some of the places. The sea was very big and kicking up sand at all the beaches we stopped at. We decided to rather have a braai and take a whiskey and catch up a bit. I was also reliant on my brother to transport me and he would drop me off before work and then meet up with me and fish after work till we go home.

On Monday I asked him to drop me at the beach at Prince's Grant to try there for various fish and to scratch around. It was only me and my GF so I couldnt go to far down the beach as there is apparently some nasty people there... I started by trying to get a slide bait over the drop but the sea was simply too big en the drop very far out. I then set up some chokka bait on one rod and placed it on the drop of a nice hole and sandbank... Dis the same with a pillie bait and then waited for at least a peck on the bait. But NOTHING... The bait came out the way it went in. Not even a small fish for a livie...

I then changed sinkers and went to the rocks, same story so I packed up and went home. Had another braai and a drink or two and had a look on Google Earth for deep points along the coast where it could be safe to fish. Immediately I stopped at Tinly Manor. MMMMMM This looked good I told my brother and he then explained about how the spot is really nice with rod holders cemented in the rocks and that it is quite safe and has the best curry restaurant in the whole area there. We decided that was the right place to fish and that on Tuesday I will fish there.

Got up nice and early on Tuesday and got to the spot with about 6 anglers there already... I thought what a mess but they were all very kind and told me I can put my bait out between them as they will pack up soon. I immediately prepped my rods. One for sharks and one for a leerie or cob(salmon). I had a good drop and could place my shark rod out deep at about 130 - 140m using my Avet Lever drag... I slided half a yellowtail bait(head section) out and immediately noticed the people staring at me funny. Hahahaha They asked me what I was targeting and I mentioned sharks on one rod and eds on the other.

One guy gave me a livie(karratien) and I placed it just behind the first wave where the leeries would feed... So the wait began... Everyone left and after a couple of hours I checked my livie which was dead. I caught a small kolstert and slided that next for eds but nada... Next thing I saw my shark rod's tip making funny motions and knew its game on!!! It was jumping and shortly followed with the awesome sound I was waiting for! GRRRRRRR GGGGRRRRRRRRRRRR GGGGRRRRRRR!!!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

I grabbed the rod and set my 22/0 circle with a shark in front of me doing all sorts of funny jumps! Awesome part of using a lever drag is with ever jump I drop the lever and so the shark couldnt jump my leader off. It performed well jumping about 30 times and was about a 80 - 90kg blacktip. I gave the shark some 100odd meters to swim so it will stop jumping and then I put my drag up tight!!! Fishing with .6 big game and 80lb jerry brown braid I did a pressure test and turned him immediately!!! To make the story short I got the shark swimming left and went towards the tide pool and for the beach but was just to slow and it got to the right at the rocks. I could not do anything except for landing the shark on the rocks...

I had quite a few people there witnessing the fight and the shark did not want to swim out again and a current kept it to the right at the rocks. I dont land sharks on rocks so after about 20min near the rocks and no luck I put slack on the line to get it in the rock and pulled my line off... Tough luck!!!

Next day I wanted revenge and went back. Same spot, same bait but with a big sea and the wind pumping hard. Got my shark rod out and decided on a whole chokka slide for the other rod and not a livie. Lines went in and I had to release some water. SO ran to the toilet and just as I got back the rod was screaming like a 2 year old throwing a tantrum! GGGRRRRRRRRRRRRR GGGRRRRRRRRRRRR Nice!!!! Set my Circle and VAS PAPA! This one is stronger and jumping but little less. Gave it 100m and put the drag up. This one didnt just stop...hahahaha I almost followed down into the water. EISH!!!! I did a proper dance this time and me running down the rocks tot the beach and back on the pool and back down the beach about 10 times! But this time I was game on!!! WHOOOP WHOOOOOP!!!! I had a small audience and soon I saw the big fin in the shallow water in the small bay. I asked some fellow fisherman to help me land it and all refused. O SH#%%T what now.

At this point I was moeg and half dead and fighting about 1 hour and 20 min... I started explaining to the people it cant bit them if they take it by the tail in the shallow water. After talking very nicely for about 10 min one guy decided to help. He grabbed it and I followed to help him take it out. My first and pb blacktip was landed at 187cm and 108kg... These fish are much stronger that CPT Bronzys by the way!!!!

On Wednesday evening I wanted to go to Tugela to try for a zambie and some dagga salmon. Went to buy food for Tugela and to draw money when Standard bank decided the machine must swallow my card and so I could not go until the following day after I got a temp card from the bank. I got to tugela and the wind was howling with a big sea. This doesnt bother me and out went a yellowtail slide bait and and a live mullet for a leerie or salmon. Waited until dark for a pickup but nada. Not a nibble.

Next morning at 4 I was up and made my way to the beach at 5. Slide bait went in again and some chokka bait as well. Not even a shad was caught by anyone and my bait came back out the way it went in. Bummer!!! So I packed up and got ready for St Lucia. My brother was off on Friday and Saturday and he got me just past 9. Drove to St Lucia where we met up with some family members and I went to the tackle shop to find out what was biting and where. Jan was very kind and helpful and immediately pointed us in the right direction.

Wind was howling strong and big seas but we decided to go throw a spoon anyway. Only my brother landed a shad. Next morning at 4 we had breakfast and then drove to the beach. Wind was pumping and the forecast predicted it to calm down after about 9am. We had some site seeing until then and then went back to the water. This time calm winds, and clean water. Second throw of a spoon and vas!!! Damn the shad was wild and on the bite!!! We must have caught about 20 to 30 each before it went quiet and we released EVERYTHING except for a wave garrick I slided and 2 shad for a kingi, salmon or leerie...

About an hour later and the shad were everywhere! But they refused to touch a spoon!!! Got one on dropshot and decided to switch to bait! I had no weight on and only a 6/0 VMC Circle with pilchard. Anly needed a 10m cast on the 8 foot rod and vas with every gooi! Later I filleted 2 shad for bait and the fun continued...

We got many species and they mainly consisted of kingfish, pompano and shad but nothing on the slide baits. We then packed up in time for the rugby and I must have caught at least 70 fish.... It was insane and what a great way to end the holiday!!! Here is some eye candy and unfortunately we were too bust to take pics of shad which were either just size or mostly under size...

Last edited by Stapies on Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
All fishermen are liars except you and me! And I'm not so sure about you!
Stapies

Boat: Invader cat
Best catch: Shark +- 227kg, ed kob +- 32.5kg, tunny of 50+kg

Re: My KZN Trip from 21/07/2013 - 28/08/2013 REPORT

Postby Greenhorn » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:09 pm

Flippen nice!
Greenhorn

Boat: Sold it!
Best catch: Still to come!

Postby Prego » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:41 pm

Well done on the PB black tip, lekker to be in summer clothing in the middle of winter hehehe
Prego

Boat: KING CAT 180
Best catch: My son

Postby Hamco » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:54 pm

Stapies, is jy 5 weke daar!

Ek het op varsity laas 5 weke vakansie gehad.

Waai die wind nie in Augustus baie daar nie.
There is something aboat the sea that is good for the inside of mankind
Hamco

Boat: Janelle - Cape Craft 17.5, 2 x DF60A Suzuki's
Best catch: 2016 - 11kg Struisbaai geelstert

Postby Stapies » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:04 am

Hamco wrote:Stapies, is jy 5 weke daar!

Ek het op varsity laas 5 weke vakansie gehad.

Waai die wind nie in Augustus baie daar nie.

Hi,

Well spotted! Was net 'n week daar en is nou terug... Was steeds lekker en ja ek salnet kan droom oor 'n 5 weke vakansie!
All fishermen are liars except you and me! And I'm not so sure about you!
Stapies

Boat: Invader cat
Best catch: Shark +- 227kg, ed kob +- 32.5kg, tunny of 50+kg

Re: My KZN Trip from 21/07/2013 - 28/07/2013 REPORT

Postby FishingAddict » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:40 pm

Very nice Stapies
FishingAddict

Boat: "Regular crew on Fish Tails" and "Go for IT"
Best catch: 56kg yellowfin

Re: My KZN Trip from 21/07/2013 - 28/07/2013 REPORT

Postby patrys » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:25 am

baie nice stappies.

ek weet van menigte liga hengelaars wat baie sal gee vir daai vis. ek sal nie name noem nie, of hoe jannie. :lol:
in my life God comes first, fishing second, fishing gear third and the wife and child have to fight between fouth and sixth
patrys

Boat: 21ft butt cat with two mercury 60 bf. blue and white
Best catch: my wife and two daughters

Return to Rock & Surf Trip Reports