Witsand Report

Witsand Report

Postby Miles » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:58 pm

24 June 2012

Since the sea was looking pretty ugly for the weekend and the MRS had no work or studying to do, i was told that she MUST go fishing. No amounts of complaining about the weather would make her change her mind. The West Coast was blown out completely, so too False Bay. Spent some time on windfinder.com and Struisbaai also looked bad. Witsand looked like the only fishable place. However, the river fishing tends to be rather poor in winter, especially when the rain water washes down from the Ceres mountains, spilling out into the ocean......

Packed our gear and off we went!!

The swell was big and the water was a dirty brown colour, from the river. Not good fishing conditions, but the wifey managed to land 2 Wildeperd. This is the bugger weighed in at almost 2.7kg's!! Caught on my Waft Iron Feather Ultra Light 13' rod and Shimano Trinidad 14 with 0.40mm mono and wonderworm as bait.

My brother-in-law came to visit and we explored a bit more of that magnificent coastline. The big swell made fishing conditions quite difficult and we only managed a few smaller fish.

Hoosain with one of the two Jan Bruin / John Brown that he caught.

This young galgoen fell for my bait and after the photo, as released to grow a bit bigger......

All in all, a very pleasant trip. No rain, just a little cloud cover. VERY enjoyable way to spend some free time!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Miles
Site Admin

Boat: 18' Buttcat - "LITTLE MONSTER"
25' Cape Craft - "BLACK MAGIC"

Re: Witsand Report

Postby landshark » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:53 am

WHAAAAAAAT!????? You went R&S fishing???? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No wonder the weather man is predicting snow. :mrgreen:
landshark
Site Admin

Postby patrys » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:17 am

het gewonder wanneer jy die post gaan opsit. wys jou net dat as jy nie n aas in die water het nie jy nie weet of jy iets sal kry nie. het julle afgeloop tot by moodie se put. ken nie daai rotse waar jou swaer gevang het nie.
in my life God comes first, fishing second, fishing gear third and the wife and child have to fight between fouth and sixth
patrys

Boat: 21ft butt cat with two mercury 60 bf. blue and white
Best catch: my wife and two daughters

Postby André » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:25 am

Next time gaan ek saam :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Blerrie mooi Wildeperd daai :mrgreen:
We all come from the sea, but we are not all of the sea. Those of us who are, we children of the tides, must return to it again and again, until the day we don't come back leaving only that which was touched along the way - Chasing Mavericks
André

Boat: Geen boot. Beskikbaar as crew met eie tackle :)
Best catch: Katelyn - 3.6kg en 51cm; 98kg Yellowfin

Postby Flippie » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:26 pm

Volgnde keur gaan vat ek julle na daai ver stap plekke om n paar mooi vis te kry maar oefen solank voor die tyd julle sal dit nodig he.
Flippie

Boat: 5.3 Zodiac
2 x 40hp Yamis
Best catch: 85kg Yellow fin Tuna

Postby Miles » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:45 pm

Patrys, dit was by blombos. My dogtertjie het besluit dat sy te moeg is en ek moes haar al die pad terug dra!! Het my amper VREK gredra!! :lol: :lol: Backpack met al die kos, tackle sak, wader en dan nog 'n 14kg dogtertjie...............

Flippie, ek will weer daar gan loer!! Sal een van die dae weer 'n plan maak. Hopelik sal jy my na jou SECRET SPOT X toe neem! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Miles
Site Admin

Postby lompies » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:26 pm

Hi Miles

Been following you for a while(3years) Want to go to Stuisbaai this weekend what will you reccomend?
Got your nr and would like to get me one of those hook removers do you still have one?

Lompies 0845881650 :idea:
lompies

Boat: 5.5m Gemini 2 x60 Yammies
Best catch: 15.8kg Kabeljou

Postby Miles » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:09 am

Lompies, there is a very big swell predicted for this weekend. Struisbaai is showing a 5m swell, with 40knots of wind on saturday and a 4m swell with 20knots if wind of Sunday. I would rather stay at home this weekend!! Not pleasant conditions to fish in.

If you do want to take the boat out, Dassen Island has no wind on Sunday, but still a big 4m swell. Looks like that's the only place we can get to fish.

I still have a few hook removers left. Will give you a call!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Miles
Site Admin

Postby Poenie » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:34 pm

Flippie wrote:Volgnde keur gaan vat ek julle na daai ver stap plekke om n paar mooi vis te kry maar oefen solank voor die tyd julle sal dit nodig he.

Flippie? Flippie Gunter?
Is there anywhere in the Western Cape that could be fishable this coming weekend, 'cause I cant find good weather anywhere to fish rock&surf, jetski or boat!
Poenie

Boat: Regular crew on "Fishtales"
Best catch: Anything on artificials!

Postby Flippie » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:37 am

I see the swell is very big in my country so no fishing here
Flippie

Boat: 5.3 Zodiac
2 x 40hp Yamis
Best catch: 85kg Yellow fin Tuna

Return to Rock & Surf Trip Reports