Marlin Tournament 2014

Re: Marlin Tournament 2014

Postby Machann » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:50 pm

Hi guys.

Yes, thats correct Backline. The winners last year didn't use outriggers.

However, I would strongly recommend outriggers out of my limited experience. Rough seas and wind make it very difficult to fish five lures without riggers for one.

Secondly with your white wash being your biggest teaser, you want to fish around the white wash. Bubble trial of a lure is mostly how fish track them, not something they will easily find in prop wash? So you want your lures to run outside but next to the prop wash. Depending on your hull design, you have two pockets behind the boat for your corner lures to stack them. Without outriggers you would have to fish the two outside (rigger) lures far back to get them out of the white water. Combined with your shotgun lure, you effectively fish the front and back of the prop wash. Riggers allow you to stack the two riggers lures next to the prop wash. This will allow you to fish around the prop wash.

Thirdly is the action of some of the lures. The head design of the lures result in different actions. We all know that fish like different retrievals on different days? You make provision for this by fishing different lure design, resulting in different actions. Rigger angle helps you to fine tune the action of a lure.

Backline, the 6.5kn is a troll speed that Peter Pakula recommends. We normally go for 7kn for lures. Your lures are much more stable at slower speed. The problem with some lures not correctly designed is to get the required action out of them at that speed.

The reason why some lures is more expensive compared to others is because you only have to buy one expensive lure instead of five cheaper ones to get the one that is true and swims as they are suppose to swim. Also, the smaller lure we like to fish of Struis make it more difficult. If required I can assist with some lures.

The thing about Struis is that most of the marlin caught there is Stripe marlin. They hunt mostly in schools and are seldom single fish with the odd black and one recorded blue marlin. Stripe are very aggressive marlin and for some or other reason the they stay in and around the same area off Struis. If you find them and they are on the bite mostly anything work. Off the bite, you need the right lures running correctly.

Birds is a very good call for stripe marlin. You however don't require the large one. The 8" is big enough according to me.

Regarda
Machann

Best catch: 43kg Rooisteenbras

Postby backline » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:30 pm

I also would not fish without riggers, BUT it is doable. If you are without riggers, use dark blues, purple and black in the in the propwash so they are visible to incoming fish in the whiteout. By not using birds and fishing off a rigger then the bubble stream left by 400lb leader is largely eliminated. I prefer teasers and 3 rods out only. 2 years ago I had about a dozen stripes attack everyone of my 6 rigs that were in the water!!! the results were a disaster. I also fish smaller lures for stripes withe the big lure down the middle. The rule of thumb is to adjust your speed to get your konas to pop and smoke every 2 to 3 seconds.
By fishing strip baits I get close to a 100% hookup rate.
It is pretty well known that all the tactics for sailies work well for stripes.

There is so much info on the net that the more you read the more you get confused. So I would read up as much as i can, form a gameplan and be flexible.
backline

Postby Supercat » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:10 pm

Thanks backline Thats what im doing these days Checking out spreads etc. I bought a load of Konas , teasers etc in Kenya last November.
Hoping they work.Problem is that im working in Mozambique at the moment and will only be home about the 5th of Feb Still got to take of my 75 2 stroke Mariners and fit 4 stroke 60 bigfoots. Gives me about 2 weeks to set everything up. Still no luck with outriggers as such Working on it.
Supercat

Boat: Supercat 620 Centre Console
Best catch: 42 Kg Sailfish/ 36 kg Cob

Postby backline » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:38 am

I made awesome 3 piece riggers using a 4,2 m shark blank. I epoxied 32 mm S/S tube bent to 135 deg as a base, which fits into ant flushmount rod holder. They fold up and are stored in my cabin. probably cost me around R3K complete. I can show you if you pm me closer to the time.
backline

Postby SkipperB » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:04 am

Just wanna say good luck to all the guys fishing in the Marlin Comp this coming week!
We're not fishing it this year, but already planning for next year, so MOERSE jaloers!
I hope the front expected early next week, comes through early so you'll have the rest of the week to hook those stripeys and may your reels scream and your muscles burn!
Man I love the Alphards!!!

Enjoy! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Span die Seile!
SkipperB

Boat: 30ft Leecat Walkaround
Best catch: Released a 100kg Stripey

Previous

Return to Marlin Fishing