ADVISE ON THIS PLACE

Re: ADVISE ON THIS PLACE

Postby Stapies » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:23 pm

Will28 wrote:Can someone give me some advice on fishing for grunter in the river. Have been fishing it for many years now but always have a problem with the stumpies taking the bait. All my success has come with mud and sand prawns on a sliding sinker rig in the top half of the river (between the n2 bridge and the mouth) but these successes have been pretty rare so i think i must be doing something wrong. If someone can advise me on bait, rigs, spots, methods and the stumpie problem it would be appreciated. Havnt seen a grunter run at kleinbrak in many years, was a stage when we caught grunter by hand in the mouth. Anyone know what the fish stocks look like in the river? seems to be decreasing every time i go there which is unfortunate.

Hi Will,

The grunter came in with a bash and the people abused the river... It is nice to catch fish and I sure never keep more than I can eat. The stumpie problem is quite easy to get by if you have a boat or so not you have to choose the tide correct and also the bait placement...

I drift for grunter to get the best success and if I take 25 prawns on a drift I can land as many as 14 grunters, then stop and chuck some prawns still... The secret is drifting on the right spot and with the right trace and setup. Everything is important from line to stiffness of the rod. I use a ultra light rod which can bend from tip to bottom and not brake and with very thin line.

A small swivel/weight if you drift on the spring tide works to get the prawn down as well. Fluaro Carbon helps and then hooking the prawn from the tail to the heads side is very important so it swims backwards... I drift on the far side of the river and very near the side. Frunters feed in the shallow water and people cast over them. They also swim and feed on all levels of the water from the surface to the bottom. Feel free to give me a call for more specific advise if you feel the need...

Regards
All fishermen are liars except you and me! And I'm not so sure about you!
Stapies

Boat: Invader cat
Best catch: Shark +- 227kg, ed kob +- 32.5kg, tunny of 50+kg

Postby Will28 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:23 pm

Thanks for the advice, will be sure to try it next time i go down. Have a small quintrex aluminium boat so ill be exploring the lower reaches of the river more in the future and try the drift method more often. Hopefully i can hook up into a few more fish. Would be nice if you experts could update the page with reports and photo's of catches more regularly. Tight lines.
Will28

Boat: Quintrex
Best catch: 50lb Sturgeon

Postby Stapies » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:28 pm

Will, I wrote a dummies guide and I put so much effort in. Next moment the river was swamped with people who keeps everything they catch!!! I did photos, riggs, traces, bait, bait presentations, spots, species alles!!! Give me a shout in advance and if I am there I will show you how to myself... But above the N2 bridge towards the mouth has many fish. but I do have a secret spot or 10 as well.lol
Stapies

Postby baltjies » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:50 am

its sad about the abuse.......these people should be reported
baltjies

Boat: 4.6 m Cabana Cabin Yamaha 60hp
Best catch: 15kg Steenbras

Postby Will28 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:16 am

Anything happening in the river at the moment? Would also like to know if one can find bloodworm, tapeworm or moonshine worm in the river? and where i can find the sandprawns, use to pump them in the mouth area but they have become very rare. Mudprawns and mullet arn't a problem to find. Any other bait available in the river system.
Will28

Boat: Quintrex
Best catch: 50lb Sturgeon

Postby Stapies » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:51 am

Hello Deon,

Die visvang op die diepsee is tans amazing!!! In die winter kry jy baie groot kobbies, stokvis en dan my favourite, die poensies!!! Die mense vang leker en ek moet se die manne in die area release die skaars spesies al te mooi.

@will,

There is sand prawns higher up past the "parkie" if you go down to the little island before the split that goes down to riverside... There is lint wurm but they are scarse and there is some bloodworm and unfortunately I cant say where. Grootbrak also has bloodworm if you know where to go and how the holes look. I also use the clapper prawns you get near the grass and pump them in those big holes! Best bait in my opinion...

Hartenbos has the most sand prawns and you up them quick. Most of the people are fishing in the sea now as there is some massive steenies around now...
Stapies

Postby Blommie09 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:26 pm

Hi Manne
Is daar enige vis wat die afgelope tyd in kleinbrak uitgekom het. Ek wil dalk die naweek weer n gooi gaan maak in die rivier
Blommie09

Boat: Infanta inflatable

Postby Fisherman » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:42 am

@Blommie09

Het jy toe n lyn gaan nat maak? Any luck? Ek was daar die sondag, maar toe ek prawn gan pomp het was die water bitter koud!!! Het ma n lyn vir n rukkie ini water gelos, ma niks het my aas opgetel nie. Toe ek my lyn in gebring het, was my aas amper n ys blokkie!!! Moes eerder n laaste bietjie gesmelte sneeu vani berge gewees het of die koue see water wat met die spring tide in gekom het, ma ek skat so 14 grade da rond.
Fisherman

Best catch: 2.8kg Grunter

Postby Blommie09 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:55 pm

Fisherman wrote:@Blommie09

Het jy toe n lyn gaan nat maak? Any luck? Ek was daar die sondag, maar toe ek prawn gan pomp het was die water bitter koud!!! Het ma n lyn vir n rukkie ini water gelos, ma niks het my aas opgetel nie. Toe ek my lyn in gebring het, was my aas amper n ys blokkie!!! Moes eerder n laaste bietjie gesmelte sneeu vani berge gewees het of die koue see water wat met die spring tide in gekom het, ma ek skat so 14 grade da rond.

Ek het in tussen begin diepsee hengel. Man dis lekker. Niks meer wag vir ure vir n byt nie. Was Vrydag en Saterdag uit en Sondag was my arms te seer om weer te gaan. Het die mooiste Romans, Miss Lucy en Rooi Steenbras gevang. Net die legal hoeveelheid en size gehou maar ongelooflik. Het seker tussen 40 en 50 mooi size visse terug gesit.
Blommie09

Boat: Infanta inflatable

Postby Allewyn » Sat May 06, 2017 6:46 am

Ek tree binnekort af in Grootbrak area en sal enige inligting vir hierdie area baie waardeer. Okk enige inligting oor boot regulasies vir die strandmere hier. Enige raad sal waardeer word. Grietnis Allewyn
Allewyn

Boat: Small 3.2m spider 3 riverboat with 15hp motor
Best catch: Grunter

Previous

Return to Klein-Brak River