Garmin Echomap 62 CV UHD reviews?

A1ex
Boat: 22' Nemesis Cat
Best catch: 350lb Black Marlin

Garmin Echomap 62 CV UHD reviews?

Post by A1ex »

Any reviews on the Garmin Echomap 62CV UHD? It seems reasonably priced for what you get.
Fin-S
Boat: kayak to duck to skiboat to cruiser to sportfish to skiboat to duck...
Best catch: 15:1 blue, 10:1 black, 10:1 sail

Re: Garmin Echomap 62 CV UHD reviews?

Post by Fin-S »

No review on this specific unit but it seems to tick all the general boxes. I do however find a 6" screen very small - especially in split screen mode. And if you try and put 3 windows on the screen then it really is tough to see on a bouncing boat.

If you are set on it, then it may be worthwhile to subscribe to ActiveCaptain - you can then pair and view the screen on a mobile device as well.
A1ex

Post by A1ex »

Hi Fin-S,

Thanks you bring up a good point on the 6" screen front, yeah at the moment it's mostly budget that's stopping me going bigger. The bonus is I'm coming from a boat that was only fitted with a the striker so anything from here will seem great haha. I will have a further look around for similar prices with bigger screen size in other brands as well.

I'm also not really a fan of the touchscreen versions.
Pugwash
Boat: Bandit 380 DF20
Ark Minnow DF5
Best catch: 1m+ Geets

Post by Pugwash »

I've been looking quite closely at them and I reckon I'm going to opt for the 92... I was offered a 73 but Fin-S has a very good point about bouncing boats. The 92 is about 3 grand more on eBay... Seems worth it to me.
A1ex

Post by A1ex »

I haven't actually checked on Ebay, gonna go have a quick squiz :mrgreen:
Kingfisher
Boat: 15ft Ski Craft c/c with 60HP Yamaha
Best catch: 12kg white mussel cracker, 12kg cobby

Post by Kingfisher »

I see 92 UHD comes in SV model only. Ebay price is 18,5k plus about 2k shipping. Will there be extra cost for import duties for SARS Customs?
Amazon comes in at 15,7k plus 3,2k for shipping and import fees. Not sure is SARS Customs will still klap you with extra cost.
Pugwash
Boat: Bandit 380 DF20
Ark Minnow DF5
Best catch: 1m+ Geets

Post by Pugwash »

If it says "Global Shipping Program" then that includes all duties, import tax and VAT.

That's the model with the GT56 t/ducer which is excellent compared to the older GT52/54.

Just be sure that the Amazon offering includes transducer... And for offshore, get the GT rather than the CV. CV is better for shallower water (bass guys)
Mark
Boat: Kingcat 22.6
Best catch: 15 kg Kabeljou

Post by Mark »

I have 2 Garmin 9 inch UHD units on my current Rapidcat.
The touch screen was a big concern for me in the beginning, but due to the small keys (quick keys) I do not really have to use the touchscreen.

All in all I am very happy with the units. The gt 56 transducer is nice to have and is really good for up to 60 meters ( I have not gone deeper)

I would not go anything under 9 inch, the screen is just too small to capitalize on what the unit can do.

The only concern I have with the units is they are slow, zooming in and out of the charts is slow.
The one unit also creates interference with my garmin 215 vhf. I have done everything I can think of but do not get the interference away. Which is very sad as I thought the garmin units will link together without trouble..

I have bought the UHD units at Seaport Supply Cape town and got great prices for them, R 25000 for the 9 inch UHD with gt 56 and R 18000 for the 9 inch UHD alone. Ask Deon he is very helpful.

Return to “Electronics Reviews and Discussions”