Spider Boats

Rattatat Kaboem
Boat: Fishalot + 8hp Mercury short
Best catch: 2.4kg Bass, 3kg Snoek

Spider Boats

Post by Rattatat Kaboem »

I just bought a Spider 3. Cathedral hull 3.1m x 1.3m with a 10hp Mercury.

The plan is to take it out to Hangklip & Langebaan and some rivers like Bergrivier, Gamtoos and Plett.

The question is how will it handle wind chop in Langebaan lagoon and small waves/wake of other boats?

I had the Ark Fishalot and Fishduck before and it handled 3m head on surf launches very well. I guess the Spider will not, but will be more stable and roll less on anchor.
Rattatat Kaboem

Re: Spider Boats

Ok, the maiden voyage had some mixed results. Fishing in Hangklip was great, caught a 60cm Geelbek & 6 pan sized Hotties & a small Elf.

The 10hp Mariner Marathon is a bit pap. The engine doesn't rev all the way to the top end? Almost as if it is governed?

The gears are also a bit scratchy and the engine idles too high. I miss my 8hp Mercury.

The boat is very stable on anchor and handles ok. The sides are not too low and the space on the boat is much better than on the Ark.

I don't like how the boat turns, compared to a mono hull. Something to get used to.

I am not sure what to do with the engine. It starts and goes, but I think I should take it for a new carb kit? I am looking for a 15hp at this stage and thinking of selling the 10 to buy a 15.
Mombakkie

Post by Mombakkie »

Hi Rattatat

For what you intend to use it for it will be an economical 2 man boat. Have seen them on the water and known skippers who have owned them.
They're proven hulls for inland/sheltered waters. 15hp being the ideal choice if you intend to fish 2-up with gear. I'd opt for a good service on that 10hp and give it another run before making any drastic decisions.

Bear in mind that places like Langebaan, Breede and Hangklip kan get gnarly very quickly and the spider is a nearshore boat (as in 500m from any given shore) So you need to be an awake skipper and play to your strengths, its not a 1 nautical mile (1.8km) boat. You get caught a mile off in a 2ft chop you going to get a proper hiding getting back.
If you think going on an adventure is dangerous, try routine .... its leathal !
Rattatat Kaboem

Jip, thought so. I know Langebaan lagoon. Caught my 1st Stompie there in 1983/84 on my dad's 18ft Cape Craft called SPARTACUS.

I thougth so and will go out and return before the wind picks up in Langebaan. But I hoped that someone would tell me that the Spider can take on rougher water. The sides are lowish and I think the wind chop of even 1ft from the side might be a challenge. :?

I think there is a few Spider boats out there, most with 5hp or smaller. They are made in 2.7meter Spider 1, 2.9meter Spider 2 and the 3.2m Spider 3.

Return to “Boat Reviews and Discussions”