Fishing spots surrounding St Helena Bay

Philip
Boat: Carry Cat 670 CC
Best catch: Not worth mentioning.

Fishing spots surrounding St Helena Bay

Post by Philip »

I would appreciate some guidance wrt fishing spots if launching from St Helena Bay area.
In the process of building a house in the area and would really like to do a bit of boat fishing. Everybody is pointing me towards the North Blinder but the problem is I shall be keeping a Cat D boat there and the North Blinder seems to be on or just outside the limits of a Cat D boat. (The fact that I have a 15hp back-up motor which will NOT give me a Cat C according to the law, is perhaps another topic that I would like to initiate again in another area on boatfishing forum).
Is there anywhere else in the area where I can scratch around for some recreational "fishing" within the 5 mile Cat D limit ?
Miles
Site Admin
Boat: 18' Buttcat - "LITTLE MONSTER"
25' Cape Craft - "BLACK MAGIC"

Re: Fishing spots surrounding St Helena Bay

Post by Miles »

Hiya

The North Blinder is 4nm from land, so you would be well with-in your legal required limits. The law stipulates that you are allowed to be 5nm from land or any inhabited island (like Robben or Dassen Islands)

The law also stipulates that if you want a 15nm rating, your auxilliary engine must be able to push your boat to a speed of 5 knots. If your back-up engine can do this, you will be able to get a Cat C (15nm) rating.

The snoek fishing is very easy up that side of the world. Just follow the myriad of commercial snoek boats and they will lead you to where the fish are.

We only fished for snoek there, so i only know the usual snoek haunts. Unfortunately can't help you much on the other spots for hottentot or kreef.........
thika
Boat: Ace Craft 660 DV
Best catch: Not yet but working on it

Post by thika »

We were fishing for snoek 25NM from St.Helena last month, halfway to Elands Bay opposite Klein Tafelberg

I counted five small single motor bakkies amongst the snoek fleet....they are subsistence guys and no one bats an eyelid

Even the trawlers were fishing with handlines

Unless someone dies you are not going to have problems and each of those boats would assist you if you ran into problems

Like with all other things, common sense prevails...I would not lose sleep if I was you, just make sure that you are close to/ in contact with help at all times

PS:

The Lamberts Bay whale/dolphin watching boat became unstuck the other day with a whole bunch of paying tourists on board.

His Ford diesel packed up

They phoned the local attorney who excused himself from the client consulting him, went home, fetched his jetski and pulled the whole lot back to port :lol:
Philip

Post by Philip »

Appreciate the feedback.
On the issue of Cat C and back-up motor. I also was under the impression that a standby that can push boat at 5 (?6) knots qualify to be classified as Cat C. Not so, it seems, as there is a further clause in the law that states that you must have two equally powered motors !! Does not make sense as it then appears that if I have 2x15 hp I can get Cat C as long as one motor can push me at 5 knots but 1x115hp plus 1x15hp does not qualify !!
Can somebody who has access and understanding of the detail of the regulations please assist with interpretation.
Thanks
Miles
Site Admin
Boat: 18' Buttcat - "LITTLE MONSTER"
25' Cape Craft - "BLACK MAGIC"

Post by Miles »

also was under the impression that a standby that can push boat at 5 (?6) knots qualify to be classified as Cat C. Not so, it seems, as there is a further clause in the law that states that you must have two equally powered motors !!
That is incorrect. Check for yourself: Merchant Shipping (Small Vessel Safety) Regulations 2007. Paragraph 7 (3)
http://www.samsa.org.za/content/acts-and-regulations

The law states that you MUST have 2 engines for Catagory A, B or C and that EITHER engine must be able to propel your fully loaded boat to 5 knots, in calm conditions. (can't copy the pdf document!!) :lol:

Nowhere does it stipulate that you need to have the SAME size engines.

Many independant surveyors make up their own rules and that drives me nuts!! The law is the law. There is no need for interpretation. It's pretty clear. Next time a surveyor tells you this, ask him what part of the act, specifically which paragraph stipulates his requirement...........

The act goes on to say that in a surf launch application, one of the engines must be able to power the boat at a SAFE speed. No speed limit is given, so that will be left up to the discretion of the surveyor.

If you have any hassles, just call SAMSA and they'll be able to assist you. They're REALLY helpfull!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Philip

Post by Philip »

Thanks Miles.
I have read through the whole thing and the engine requirement is quite clear as per your post.
I shall tackle them.
Hamco
Boat: Janelle - Cape Craft 17.5, 2 x DF60A Suzuki's
Best catch: 2016 - 11kg Struisbaai geelstert

Post by Hamco »

Good luck! We hold thumbs!
There is something aboat the sea that is good for the inside of mankind
Philip

Post by Philip »

Further to my request for guidance on fishing spots surrounding St Helena Bay some months ago.
Obviously it is known for its Snoek and then it seems that Yellow tail are to be found from time to time. Could the forum please give me some pointers as to what time(s) of the year do the Snoek and Yellow tail come around that area. In other words what time of the year is it worth it to put some rapalas out and search the area.
Over the past Dec holiday period there was NOTHING ito fishing apart from great boating conditions.
Johannes van die See
Boat: 2010 - Ace Glider 530 - Fully Licensed Charter Boat
Best catch: 35Kg Cob

Post by Johannes van die See »

May, June, July is snoek time and at the same time you can find some Yellowtail and even some Bigeye in between.
We also had some good Yellowtail reports beginning of December but later on it was dead.
http://www.goblacksam.com
Langebaan Lagoon & Deep Sea Fishing Charters
Philip

Post by Philip »

Thanks Johannes. Is the March/April time (when we have all the nice long weekends) also dead traditionally ?

Return to “Launch Sites”